Assembled here are the best Oppositelock posts from Wednesday and Thursday. It includes cone killing joy, US naval ship classifications, Senna's lasting effect and a defence of the Kaidō racer.
Auto-crossing with Ender: Happiness - daender
What is your definition of happiness? What keeps you driving in the early morning, so early the sun has yet to rise, on a Sunday you could spend sleeping in after a busy and stressful week or studying for finals? Why do you keep coming back every month to beat on your car in competition even though you stand little chance of taking first? Are you having fun yet? Read more…
Here's a fun fact: back in the 1970s, US Navy admirals were quivering in their black shoes over a perceived "cruiser gap" between Us and the Soviets. As you probably put together by yourself, the Soviets simply had more cruisers than we did. However, this didn't take into account the USN's classification of a "frigate" - ships that were smaller than what were considered "cruisers" at the time but often only marginally less well armed and in a few cases (most notably the California and Virginia classes) even nuclear powered (the Virginias in particular were actually among the largest non-aviation combat vessels commissioned by the USN in the postwar period, and were the most powerful vessels on the registry at the time of their commissioning). This realization gave these admirals an extremely effective yet simple solution - reclassify these "frigates" into "cruisers." Boom, cruiser gap eliminated! Read more…
Ayrton Senna, Immortality, and Me - Jonny Edge
I was only 6 years old on the 1st of May 1994. Not really old enough to understand much, but old enough to observe, and old enough to be impressed upon. I don't remember much about the weekend, but I remember quite clearly what little of the race I got to watch. Read more…
In Defense of the Kaidō Racer - Raphy
What is bosozoku? Bosozoku is a type of car modification originating in Japan sometime in the 1980s. The term literally means "reckless gang" and is used more often outside of the car community to refer to the semi-yakuza youth subculture. The bosozoku frequently drive these cars and similarly modified motorcycles, which they are better known for. I suppose one could compare it to the American 1950s greaser subculture. Read more…
Launch Control 2.2: Pastrana's Return - Driving Sports TV
In this episode of Launch Control, the Subaru Rallycross Team prepares for the first event of the Redbull Global Rallycross Championship season with a day of testing in Atlanta. X Games Gold Medalist Bucky Lasek cooks up a home-grown shrimp dish. Plus, Travis Pastrana returns to the Subaru Rally Team USA in very much the same state as he left it: nursing an injured leg. Now teamed with 5-time Rally America Champion David Higgins, he kicks off his 2014 return to rally at the Rally in the 100 Acre Wood. Read more…
Montalegre in Portugal hosts the first round in a World Rallycross Championship ever. This coming weekend the long awaited action starts with a bang on one of the more open tracks of the season. With a length of 1520 meters and a width of 10 meters things can still get quite tight here. Read more…
I Suddenly Want A Spyker - TwinCharged
This is a C8 Aileron. It costs £194,000 or about US$328,000. That's more than a Ferrari 458. And a McLaren 650S. It has 400bhp, which as you can gather, is less than both the Ferrari and McLaren. According to the internet and YouTube videos I've scrutinised, I also gather that its driving dynamics are not on the same level as the Ferrari and McLaren. Some may even say it is not particularly attractive - that big front grille is too fish-like, those side vents are too bulbous and those headlights are too glitzy. Read more…
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV - an SUV I wouldn't mind owning - BaconSandwich
I feel like a bit of a hypocrite. I'm usually the first one to point out the uselessness of most SUVs. They are big, ugly, hard to see out of, expensive, and guzzle gas. That is, until, I came across this. Read more…
This 560HP Caprice Brougham Is The Ultimate Sleeper - TheDailyTurismo
Forget everything you know about turbocharged Civic hatchbacks being sleepers, because this 12 second Caprice Brougham will blow your socks off and then buy you a steak dinner. Read more and also check out The Ultimate VW Squarechero For A Ron Paul Fanatic.
In this edition we have some incredible photography, an upcoming contest, a vintage newsreel about Stirling Moss, great discussions, customs, an OFFICIAL Twitter account, Hot Wheels Exchange Program trades, and, of course, the HAWLS. Read more…
15 Foot Inflatable Toilet; The Oppositelock Review - thebigbossyboss
As part of whatever PETA regularly does, they brought a 15 foot inflatable toilet to Canada's parliament to protest the seal hunt. Although I do condone peaceful protest, I do not support PETA in any of their endeavours in any way shape or form. I support the right of Canada's Northerners to feed and clothe their families…and support Canada's ethical, responsible and environmentally sound seal hunt. However, when you learn there is going to be a 15 foot inflatable toilet….well, you're going to check it out no matter whose protest it is a part of. Read more…
Volkswagen G91 Ford Pocus ST1 Mazda LaSpeed3 - VincentvanCabrioW
After reading this title you might think that my Chihuahua stepped on the keyboard while I wrote about hot hatches, or whipped cream fell on the computer and I tried to clean it. But no, the title is what how I portray the 3 highest competing hot hatchbacks with the 3 highest competing Hyper-cars. Read more…
The Best of the Rest
B. Body Burnout shared more photos from the NYIAS. Jobjoris met a lovely 1600ti. Audi For Life attended Portland C&C. Trmoore09 bought an e46 M3. LappingLuke posted more video from an autocross. Bullitt Ride got his ITB setup set up. BiTurbo228 made progress on his Spitfire. TokyoBayAquaLine rendered some cars. Velocity attended another memorial meet. CounterTorqueSteer spotted a neat classic around DC. BiTurbo228's metal rose sculpture got him laid, probably. Cletus44 went to the Beijing Auto Show and saw a pristine Mustang Cobra II. Jay Lauer bought a l̶a̶w̶n̶m̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ S2000.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good conversation on Wednesday and Thursday. Take a peek and chime in on some of those listed below:
- Ford ST Octane Academy - Who has gone/is going?
- iRacers Raise your hands
- IT'S GONNA RAIN! Let's talk Wipers!
- Wagons... how to convince someone they are rad
- What do we think about Azeras?
- I think Toyota is taking a big risk with the new Aygo
- Weird thoughts...
- An Epic Journey to the Other Side (France-Germany)
- What are your favorite windshield wiper blades?
- Why have 'axle ratio' choices with 8,9,10 speed transmissions?
- What Automotive Instagrams Are Worth Following?
- Are the Forza Motorsport and Gran Turismo Franchises Dead?
- What do you use for a wallpaper?(iPhone/Android) Edition
- NPoCP — 1997 318ti M-Sport (Oppo Owned and Cared For Edition)
- What ride do you think is best
- I Don't Understand The i8, What's Your OPPOinion?
- Am I too old for a Focus ST?
- Would You Buy A Chinese Car?
- The Moment I Cried During 'Senna'
- Cheap Wheels: Camry Solara
- Highest Curb Weight
- Coolest Car In A Random Ass Town: Portland, ME (Murica) request
- Share your tricks for used car hunting
- Best 4x100 stock wheels?
- What race would you go see this summer? Pick one
- Pick One
- Match a car to a personality: 20
Just the #tips
- Two good articles about THAT Imola weekend
- What's it like to fly a 1911 airplane?
- Florida Driver Fined For Jamming Cell Phones During His Commute
- Watch an E36 M3 Rally Car Jump 156ft on Tarmac...
- Beautiful 250 GTO SII Wallpapers
- The Bugatti EB110 at Le Mans in 1994
- Coolest Car In A Random Ass Town: Morgantown, WV (Murica) request
- The M2 is Happening
- The Brazilian BMW 2002tii Schnitzer - Esquife Voador (The Flying Coffin)
- 2015 Colorado-Canyon Ext.Cab Doesn't Want Your Asshole Kid to Die
- Go-Kart track at Ralph Gilles' house?
- [Must Read] A Narrative of Ratzenberger's Death
- Here's what 14,000 RPM LOOKS like
- Corinthians FC Senna Tribute
- Car and Driver Just Made A Comparison Test Between a Phaeton and a Mirage
- Gran Turismo 6 gets Senna DLC Content, Lotus 97T included
- Beautiful Timelapse Of "The Boneyard" Airplane Cemetery
- Alain Prost : post-crash 20 years ago
- Luca di Montezemolo Uses Senna's Death to Advertise Ferrari
- How Ford will build the aluminum F-150
- SkyRunner dune buggy/light-sport aircraft combo
- Drinking & Driving: F1 Just Confirmed Their 5th Alcoholic Sponsor
- [Must Read] A Narrative of the 1994 Race at Imola
- 10 Perks of Having You Car Stolen - LOL worthy
- 2013 Isle of Man Rally
- The WRX was the Second Fastest Selling Car in April
- Arash AF8 - Making Donuts
- The last teammate
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- Ford and Hyundai Top Brand Loyalty Index, VW Stumbles
- How much Porsche does $800 buy? - The story of my Porsche 944 S
- Remembering Senna Today
- Walmart car dealerships? It could happen...
- Something about royals…
- The Rusty Bavarian: The Story of my BMW E36 M3
- 2001 E-Z-GO PDS: The Oppo Review
- 10 Things that Make You Look Like a Massive Idiot while Driving
- Mitsubishi Starion ESI-R and Chrysler Conquest TSI: Oh, Yeah! Those!