Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing from New Year's Eve to last Sunday. It includes a positive dealership experience, driving older cars, plastic engines and more.
This story begins on an August day in San Antonio with me shopping for a used Mustang GT. I had test driven a few around Ft Hood and was at the local Car Max awaiting my current car's appraisal. See, I had found my Mustang, with all the glory that was the Brembo package, on carmax's website. I just needed to break even on my trade to make it really worth it, but once again I was met with disappointment and I left smelling of defeat (and sweaty Army uniform).
- Trying to diet? GO PLASTIC - Saf1
Car manufacturers say they endeavour to reduce weight by using novel measures but those measures are more of a compromise of an existing inefficient design. Bold claims from someone who knows a lot less than those engineers, sure, BUT I still cannot find good reasons WHY Polimotor's plastic engines aren't in play.
- My Rolling Relic - Aaron Vick Starnes
Someone told me recently that people who drive older cars are heroic. While that is flattering it's just not the case. More like reckless but not in a cool James Dean sort of way but a stupid, blissfully ignorant of how bad a wreck would be sort of way.
- My Automotive Bucket List - WillKinton247
I've been thinking a lot about my future lately, which has in turn prompted me to think about what I would like my automotive future to entail. So in order to keep track of it all, I wrote it down.
Until December 30th, 2013, I have never truly driven my car, a second-gen Miata. I've done a season's worth of autocrossing including almost crashing it, trips all across the state, and I've DD'd when I'm up at college but nothing, absolutely nothing compared with what I went through that day. [I've learned more about the car that I have in the past 11 months I've driven it, the good and the bad aspects of the Miata, smiling from sun up to sun down.]
- Is Your Attainable Dream Car Worth It? - Jeff Simmons
Over at The Truth About Cars, Steven Lang writes about "The Almost Car". Not your dream car that costs more than your house, but the car you first lusted over and now, theoretically, you can afford. I have fallen into that trap. Literally within a month of getting my first steady salaried job I was at a Mazda dealership buying a used 2000 323Ci coupe with about 90,000 miles on it… It was perfect shade of blue, it had a five speed, it was a freaking BMW! I could afford the monthly payments. It was perfect right? Right?
- We found the Bridgehampton Race Circuit - oldirtybootz1.4T
After I learned about it's existence last weekend from Bad Idea Hat, I wanted to take a ride out east and see if any of the track still remained. My girlfriend and I had nothing to do today so we looked up the directions and set off to find it.
- The motorist douchebag list - BigNSlow
Upon my daily commute to and from work I see a lot of douchebags on the road. I decided to come up with a name and definition for each one.
- The Best Charger General Lee Tributes Are Nissan Sentra Based - TheDailyTurismo
The iconic orange paint with the number 01 on the side is normally reserved for the countless Dodge Chargers that are built as homage to the Dukes of Hazzard, but sometimes a DoH fan can't afford the high prices demanded for a vintage Charger. Also check out Why The Buick LeSabre Should Be On Your Bucket List.
- The Centre of My Hometown As a Race Course 50 Years Ago - Gabor Vajda
Every gearhead loves the thought of living close to a racetrack. Not quite as close to be bothered about the noise, just a comfortable distance away to enjoy a weekend joyride from time to time. And there are street courses.
How do you take a picture of the world's handsomest train at the turn of the century? With the world's largest camera, naturally… It was the largest camera constructed up to that time, and the purpose for its construction is about as Jalop as you can get in the year 1900.
- Carly: The Biased OppoLock Review - NotInDetroit
The Volkswagen Jetta Mk IV was introduced around 1998 or so and was advertised with such advanced features as a full-size spare. The Jetta kind of gets a bad rap, especially this one for being unreliable and boring, maybe. It's meant to be a bread and butter volume seller, something VW tries to keep tweaking with every generation. The current Mk VI is the ultimate (so far) expression of that, but the Mk IV still maintained at least some semblance of sportiness.
- 2014 Chevrolet Onix LTZ - The Oppo review - BlazinAce
Pointless as this review might be, except, maybe, for the two other Brazilian guys on Oppo, I'm bored and thought this would be a fun way to pass the time, because, obviously, I'm too messed up to know what normal people do on a sunday afternoon. Also, there's a fair chance I suck at this, so bear with me here ok? Oh yeah, and excuse the poor pictures, I figured phone pictures were better than no pictures so, there's that.
- Diecast Essentials #1 - 1968~1972 Chevrolet Nova - BlazinAce
Released in 1963 to positive reviews, the Chevy II soon fell into the graces of Hot Rodders due to it's low weight and even lower price. While the specialized media regarded it in the same way we now regard the Corollas and Camrys of the world, enthusiasts all over the country were measuring the space between the fenders and figuring out how to stuff Chevrolet's Small Block V8s in there.
- Let's play "I bet you didn't know!" - Breakfast Burrito
AKA: What I learn after spending too much time on Wikipedia. I bet you didn't know Willys Overland produced a 1200 lb, rear-engined sports car… Now, before y'all go up in arms and start claiming that whats pictured is really a Renault Alpine A108, allow me to direct your attention to the front quarter panel. You see that "W" logo? That's for Willys. If you saw the front of the car it'd spell out Interlagos.
I hear it might be cold out. I hear it might be snowing. And that the warmest place might just be in your car on account of some serious blackouts. I'm looking at you Eastern Canada. And probably in a sizeable portion of Canada's Pants as well. So if you *are* driving this evening, even aimlessly, like I am (Macbook in tow, leaching off of free wifi in a Starbucks/Chapters parking lot in West Edmonton) then this playlist is for you. It's full of slow smooth drivers that should put some sugar in your tank, and some lead in your trunk. Perfect for aimless winter driving.
- Daily Dakar: It Begins - Dusty Ventures
[January 4], in front of over a hundred thousand fans, 500 cars passed through the center of Rosario, Argentina. In a parade that quite literally lasted hours, every competing vehicle drove up the dais at the ceremonial start (aside from the trucks, they're too heavy and had to stop alongside) and every driver and co-driver was introduced. From a host of privateer buggies and indestructible Toyotas, to the car of paraplegic rally driver Albert Llovera with it's unique hand controls, to the armada of Minis, to Robby Gordon and his traditional jump of the podium.
The Best of the Rest
Labcoatguy took a drive around Boston in his Saab. Quarterlifecrisis visited the Porsche exhibit at the NC Museum of Art. NoahthePorscheGuy's dad ran into Lewis Hamilton. Saabstory posted photos from the LeMay museum. TwinCharged took photos at the 2013 Macau Grand Prix. CarFanatic posted photos from recent track days. Alex Murel took a lot of pictures in 2013. Gmctavish spotted a Ford Deluxe Coupe. SaabLife visited a deserted Saturn dealer. Twinturbobmw did a photoshoot with a '66 Mustang and attended C&C in Portland. A Beetle RSi stopped in at EL_ULY's dealership. BullManUGA did some karting. IDROVEAPICKUPTRUCK picked up a Focus ST. TDIGuy shared his car history. TA4K30 shared photos from a V8 SuperTourers Enduro weekend. Jagvar did some carspotting around Ft. Lauderdale. Cazzyodo enjoyed the snow in his Focus ST. Storz posted pictures of fun cars he's had. A drunk driver hit Pearson Hurst's office. Daender took his Miata into a forest for some photos. Yont283 did doughnuts in his Saabaru. Decay added lightness to his FR-S and test drove a Tesla Model S P85+. 505Turbeaux fixed the Hall sensor wiring for his Audi. Jeff enjoyed some Manhattan snow in his IS300. Driftdog saw a Mercedes 190SL outside a bar. Jbh took a night drive down Mulholland Drive. BJohnson11 finished up the exhaust on his truck. Tentacle, Dutchman, drives French spotted a classic Saab in the wild. Clown Shoe Pilot took his new Grom for a spin around the COTA.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion between New Year's Day and last Sunday. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- Off Road Ready - a spotters guide
- Which car would you swap keys with for 1 day only
- Which Would You Rather? Topless Edition
- What would you rather have?
- New year, new mods to blow money on
- Which Would You Rather? Tuned Edition
- What Are Your Country's Import Laws?
- What automotive cliche jokes should be retired?
- Cutting the cable, but now where do I get my racing?
- 5 car garage
- What's The Most California Car Ever?
- Stay Grey? Go Black? What Do!?
- Stupid Hypotheticals - $80K And One Hour, GO!
- If you could trade in your Chevy for a Cadillac-ac-ac-ac-ac...
- Stupid Hypotheticals - Any FM or GT Car
- Stupid Hypotheticals - Daily Drive Any Racecar You Want
- Whats the most powerful car you have ever driven?
- Future all-time greats
- When Will People Stop Defending These?
- What's the next big automotive innovation?
- Inboard Suspension Design?
- What Car would You Buy in the $30-40K Spending Range?
- Nicest Pizza Delivery Car
- Which Would You Rather? GT1 Edition
- Friday Evening Question #4: Options in a World of Compromise
- Stupid Hypotheticals - The Last Car You Drive
- Nissan Figaro - what say you Oppo?
- Honest Opinion: Super Reliable vs. Battlewagon?
- So sick of this commercial
- The best $/hp: The Answers
- Cars you didn't know were limos
- Whats the fastest car you've ever gotten a ride in?
- Oppo Wisdom - 2014 Italian GP
- 8 Cars To Anticipate In 2014
- What Is the wort craigslist experience you've ever had?
- Which Would You Rather? 80's Euro Coupe Edition
- Possible Future Classics?
- Help me Decide on a New Car!
- 10 REASONS WHY HELLAFLUSH IS COOL
- E30 vs. Miata
- 10 Most Sexiest Concepts of 2013
- Best Destination for Car Sightseeing
- What was your first experience with a truly amazing car?
- Show Us The Best Automotive Interior
- Which Would You Rather? Cars that will kill you Edition
- DD / Track / Burn - Million Dollar Baby Edition
- Your biggest driving fear?
- How do you go about finding a place to get parts installed?
Just the #tips
- Finnish rally crashes are as entertaining as Russian dash cams
- Why the Mk1 and Mk2 Escort will always be my favorite rally car
- Back to the future - 90's Europe spy report
- Chevy Spoils Top Speed of The SS
- Guess how much this website will buy your car for?
- Gallardo With 1805hp
- BuildThreads Top 10 of 2013
- Chrysler Turbine Original Brochure
- BMW Dynamic Drive Demo
- There's an Irish tune about rally driving, because of course there is
- Bad Decision Friday - FSAE car for sale
- How to Properly Clean up after the Holidays!
- "How much horsepower?"
- X Country Time Lapse Hoboken NJ to Squaw Valley CA
- Forester forests in the forest
- WATCH: Final Round of SST @ Vegas
- Reason 73 Dakar cars are awesome
- The Need For Speed Movie Cars, Dissected
- 2JZ e30 M3 Drifter
- CFRC closes down, Florida loses a great venue for drifting
- This is a turboed Suzuki Carry on a slalom course
- My Dad's Completely Stock, '82 62,452 Mile Mustang GT Is For Sale
- 757 takeoff — long exposure
- How Pirelli F1 tire are made
- Awesome Japanese Light a Prius On Fire and Watch It Burn To The Ground!
- The History Of Citroën Racing In One Nifty Video
- BMW Driver's Reaction From Recent Article
- Mustang Spins at High Plains Raceway, CO
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- What Would Be The Most Inappropriate But Awesome Rally Car?
- My friends survived a massive crash. It's bad
- Here's How The Not Yet Legal 'First R32' Got In
- Daily Dakar 2014: Preview
- What's the best hp/$ used car?
- That One Time I Drove to the Bottom of Argentina
- Ferrari Testing New LeMans Racer?
- The Sport Package Has Gone Too Far
- IAM Members Approve Contract, Keep Boeing 777X in Washington
- Why No Love For The 993 (and others)?
- The Legend of James' AE86 Continues
- Crappy Cars & Illogical Decisions
- Check out these hand controls