Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing on Wednesday and Thursday. It includes the Mitsuoka K-1, a trackday at Brands Hatch, the Nurburgring with Sabine Schmitz and more.
- Mitsuoka K-1, a Japanese oddity - Fl1ngstam
A few years ago, if you'd seen something in Japan and you didn't know how to describe it you would never find out what it was. Nowadays, thanks to geeks worldwide and the power of the internet, it only takes a few clicks and some selected search words to fire up exactly what you are looking for. A perfect example would be the strange thing that zipped past us last night as we walked to the station in a small town just south of Yokohama. It was very short, narrow and tall, almost as if it was built up from a go kart chassis.
- They say true race history ALWAYS adds value - TrackRatMk1
This incredible piece of machinery pictured here is Nuvolari's 1935 Alfa Romeo Tipo C 8C-35. It competed fiercely with the legendary Silver Arrows of Auto Union and Mercedes. Just two short weeks ago I took this picture above at Lime Rock Park, the car sitting humbly under a canopy during a torrential downpour. Not a soul in sight.
- You Don't Need To Be A Shifty Drifter To Drive A Hurst/Olds - TheDailyTurismo
Spurred on by the success of Hurst parts in the 1965 Olds 442, GM created a marketing agreement and a number of Hurst/Olds cars starting in 1968, based on the 442 or Cutlass platforms. Today the Hurst/Olds cars are certainly more collectible than the standard run-of-the-mill Olds-mo-boats from the mid '70s, but are they worth a second look?
- This Supra Has The Best Ebay Motors Ad In History Of The World - TheDailyTurismo
In a world filled with crummy craigslist ads and egregious ebay listings, one may suppose modern society has lost its compass and is teetering on the edge of an abyss. Fear not, for the Daily Turismo has found the best ebay motors listing in recent history.
- Just got back from my first trackday! - BiTurbo228
Our closest circuit is Brands Hatch, and Peugeot was doing a promotional trackday for their new models. What that meant was cheap entry and a chance to drive the new 208 GTi, albeit on the shorter Indy circuit. Our trusty steed was my friend's Mk2 MR2 2.0l, with her dad as main driver and me and her as £25 extra drivers.
- Fantasy WRC Review: Australia - Dusty Ventures
Rally Australia confirmed two things to rally fans. 1) Ogier/VW is genuinely unstoppable this year (Ogier won 19 of the 22 stages) and 2) Mikko Hirvonen has absolutely zero luck this year. After Ogier, Hirvonen, who won the last three rounds of Rally Austraila, was the dominant force, entering the final stage of the rally with a healthy 25 second lead over Neuville. Unfortunately for him, he picked up a mysterious puncture on the final stage, losing 55 seconds to Neuville, and with it second place. This does at least keep the World Rally Championsip "alive" as it means Ogier ended up one point shy of clinching the title in Australia.
Maybe you're wondering, I only put together quickride posts for unusual but cool cars. Don't be fooled by the headlines though. As you can see here, it's a 1991 Volvo 960L Turbo. The L probably stands for "Limousine". In the past the car was used by our government officials, like ministry and such. This car was built by a small coachbuilder in Laholm, Sweden, called Nilsson. But it's registered as built by Volvo.
- Here's a massive automotive library for you to browse - Bill Crittenden [Speedmonkey]
For a long time I've been saying that the difference between a hoarder and a collector was organization. It's a good thing I have the organization of someone actually diagnosed with OCD to balance the tendency to accumulate, and accumulate I did. Reference books, especially about cars, were my favorites.
- Go Ahead And Park In Those Fuel-Efficient Vehicle Spaces - Pelican Hazard
I'm sure most of you in the US have come across a new-build storefront or development that had some spots labelled "Fuel Efficient Vehicles Only", typically third in line for preferred spots after handicapped and New & Expectant Mothers spaces. Maybe you wondered what was up and, unless you drive an electric or hybrid car, maybe you didn't park in one. Well don't worry, because your car probably qualifies as fuel efficient.
- An Open Letter to Jealous non-BMW Owners - Maxyenko
Dear Mr. or Ms. Jealous non-BMW Owner, I’m sorry that you have made unfortunate life decisions. I’m also sorry if a new BMW owner decided to: cut you off/make a turn without a signal/tailgate you/flick you off/insulted your mother/looked at you funny (circle one). However, not all BMW owners are asshats, just some of them. You may be surprised to find out, that odds are, most asshats/terrible drivers are Camry/Prius/Versa/Sentra owners. This very possibly includes you.
- I like to see well-modified vehicles - WhiteTrashSteve
I can appreciate almost anything that indicates that someone put some passion and hard work into their car or truck. I can even appreciate when people pay professionals to build a dream car. I get it. I don't mind when people modify their exhaust so it may be a little less "emissions friendly," because I understand that sometimes a catalytic converter has to go away to optimize scavenging and exhaust velocity. Plus, the hint of unburnt gas can make exhaust smell good. With that said, I really don't like "rollin' coal."
The Best of the Rest
Rory Farrel visited the Frankfurst Autoshow and had a go on the Nurburgring with Sabine Schmitz. ///M3 Track car did some night lapping in his, er, M3 track car, and messed up his chance to race with a 458. Bandit got a spiffy Blazer for DD duty while his Trans Am is being restored. Calzone golem found a rusty REO Speedwagon and made some more process on his truck. BiTurbo228 took pictures of a nice set of Peugeots at his track day. NinetyQ updated us on the status of his Audi 90. Saracen spot end a Prius on stretched tires. SteyrTMP had a wheel vibration issue with his locost Seven.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion over the last 2 days. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- What car do you wish you hadn't gotten rid of?
- Who will be the Lotus F1 Team ride: Hulkenberg or Massa?
- Ever fixed your car so good that it's losing it's appeal, soul or fun?
- Show me coolest car related tattoo!
- Craigslist Hunt: $15,000 luxury off roader
- DD, Track, Burn: "Your Friends' Buddies are Talking Shit" Edition
- What do you like better. Top Gear UK or Top Gear USA?
- One Car Garage - Mazda
- Two douches, which one should get the ticket?
- What is the biggest troll engine swap you can imagine?
- What's the worst supercar interior?
- GTA 5 - A Car Related Post & Question
- Terrible Parent or Greatest Parent?
- What car has the ugliest stock wheels?
- 3 rows of seats, new or relatively new, under $50k, must be bad-ass
- Euro Car Hunting - Go Country!
- What is the longest and most boring Hwy/Road?
- Trackday with a 458 or a night with Catrinel Menghia?
- One Car Garage - Rolls Royce
- Craigslist Game: Barn Finds
- I want a classic American Sedan
- Does anyone else miss the driving physics from GTA IV?
Just the #tips
- Bo Zolland's ludicrously beautiful p1800 concept
- 991 Carrera In Its' Natural Habitat
- Whatever happened to the Unlimited Racing Championship?
- Florida Man Arrested for Protesting Red-Light Cameras
- Lister's resurrected!
- A Nissan Patrol with rear seat controls because why not?
- Top Gear USA Duplicates Subiesport TV Challenge
- Launch Control 12: Swinging for the Fence
- Watch a GT3 RS Get Rebuilt via Timelapse
- Ottawa Bus Collides with Train. 6 Dead 30 Injured
- Is This The S550 Mustang GT350/GT500? Or The Rumored Mach 1?
- Yes. I put a CCC temporary tattoo on the back of Matt Farah's head
- Jeep rolls over in a parking lot
- 2015 Jeepster Could be Amazing, Probably Won't
- Speedmonkey 2013 Jaguar F-Type V6 S review
- Volvo to only make 4 cylinder engines
- The Ferrari TheFerrari caught running on its electric motor
- Wear your seatbelt, man!
- How To Make a Really Expensive VW
- You know what's awesomer than a rally car going sideways on a very fast corner?
- 2 Dead in Road Rage Shootout
- Clarkson for President?
- Trabant RS
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- Euro cars you can't get in the US and what they're really like
- Nationwide not renewing
- Wrench, Race, Wrench: Labor Day Weekend At Summit Point Raceway
- Ebay Find: For $100k, What the Hell is This?