The 2014 Verizon Indy Car series starts this weekend. The season will conclude in 5 months in California. If you blink you'll miss it. The season will be over before F1 returns from summer break. This season should be exciting for a number of reasons.
1) New engines more power. (aough aough aough!)
2) Juan Pablo "I hit jet dryers" Montoya is back in an Indy Car. He's aggressive and pre-season testing has shown that he's still extremely quick. Combine that with the fact that he's driving for Penske and his name will be one that comes up often.
3) Kurt Busch is going to do the double. Kurt will be running an Andretti Autosport car in the Indy 500. Andretti has some extremely strong cars on ovals. Carlos Munoz had never raced in Indy Cars before the 500 last year and he jumped into an Andretti car put it on the front row and finished 2nd. Kurt will have a legitimate shot at victory in May.
4) The racing in the Indy Car series is the best on track product in professional motorsports. Well if you like passing on track and strategy variety in the pits it is.
5) Top to bottom the grid is as competitive as the grid in formula 1. If you don't agree with me all I have to say is Pastor Maldanado
6) The driver with the best name in motorsports is going to win the championship this year. Will Power seems to have shaken the mental road blocks that hamstrung him the past 4 years. It is possible that we will see championship dominance unlike anything. The past 10 years the championship has come down to the final race. With double points on offer in Fontana it might last that long this year, but I'll bet my paycheck on Power for the title this year. (disclaimer I am a Will Power fan)
7) In case you missed it Danica left 3 years ago.
8) Takuma Sato goes for every single gap. He takes that Senna quote more literally than any driver I've ever watched race. If he's not at the front of the field watching him get there is exciting. Just watch the last few laps of the Sao Paulo race from 2013.
9) There were 10 different winners last year and 5 of them were first time winners.
10) Ganassi driver Ryan Briscoe once did the Nurburgring in a rental car and wants to go back in a race car. How can you not love a driver who hooned a rental around the ring?
Bonus reason) The Indianapolis 500 is the greatest race... in the world.