I watched the first episode a few months ago at a time of year where I have to decide between sleep and having any free time to do anything for myself. So I went “eh” and forgot about it. Maybe it was the simplistic format? Maybe I just really wanted to sleep instead of doing literally anything?
Recently I decided to try watching again with a better mind set (and some free time) and wow. This project is just incredible to watch come together. I can’t f**king STAND stupid “reality” shows about car restoration or anything of the sort. They’re broken down like this:
30 minute time slot
- 20 minutes of actual show-on-air time
- 10 minutes of soul-sucking commercials
- 8 minutes of banter/arguments/drama between characters on the show
- 5 minutes of they only have x days / hours / seconds left to get this done. Will they make it??
- 5 minutes of replaying what happened just before the break
- 2 minutes of actual car building content, most of which is hacked together anyway because arbitrary deadline!!!
By contrast, Project Binky is more like this:
It’s youtube, so the episodes are... 15-20 minutes? Whatever
- 13-18 minutes of actual building things, correctly, with explanations and incredible thoroughness and detail
- 45 seconds of using an angle grinder
- 45 seconds of welding
- 2 minutes of drinking tea and “thinking”
- plenty of British humour
I’m only on episode 7 (?) but man, where have I been. It’s so satisfying to watch.