My ancient file/print server has been running rather poorly lately, so I decided to put my Raspberry Pi to use in its stead. Setup was fairly straightforward and connecting the various Win7/8 machines to the new print server was easy. If you want to give it a try, How to Geek has a pretty good tutorial

Then came the two Win 10 boxes.

I tried every permutation of the ip:port, the host & printer name, and every different type of service (ip and named computer) that I could think of. I finally found someone who suggested I try editing the hosts file. Sure enough, adding the print server name and pointing it to a static ip address for the Raspberry Pi finally solved the problem. Hallelujah.

Advertisement

Reference:

Thanks Pricilla@HP!