Time to go parts-hunting. Again.

Last week, we made a sloppy diagnosis, condemning the coil as soon as we saw it test out-of-spec. What was sloppy about that conclusion? That we stopped looking for other problems.

Sure enough, the new coil did not get the engine running again. So I took out my multimeter and we started at square one (plug wire resistance). It didn’t take long to find (you called it!) a worn rotor in the distributor. Go figure.

So far, a lot of parts have had to be ordered online, but in this case, we cross-referenced the cap & rotor to find that they were used on several other applications. This meant that my brother was actually able to find them in stock at a local parts store.

But the fitment was less than ideal, so we’re not going to use them. So the new cap & rotor are on their way now, which means that we still don’t know yet if that regulator is going to fix the charging issue. In the meantime, we looked for other things to make progress on, lest the weekend go to waste. Like these door handles:

Both passenger side door handles were loose, but still functional. Upon closer inspection, LF handle turned out to be just a loose bolt. Not sure how that happened, but it feels good to put a little dab of threadlocker on it and seat it back against the door where it belongs.

No such luck with the rear passenger door handle, though. This one was definitely broken. But at least we know now that we only need to track down one handle, and not two.

Advertisement

We also took a minute to start digging into the brakes. As expected, they need a major overhaul:

The rear calipers had been unbolted back at Ron’s before we got there, presumably due to stuck parking brake mechanisms. But before we got carried away with trying to get some movement out of the pistons, we decided to mount the caliper in its bracket and see if the bleeder would come free. If we can’t get the bleeders working, there’s really no point in trying to save the rest of the caliper.

Advertisement

Despite some penetrating oil and a little heat from a propane torch (yeah I know, it’s all I had), the bleeder would not come out. The head twisted right off with little effort, and we failed to retrieve the rest of it with a bolt extractor.

Expecting that the rest of the calipers will have the same issue, my brother made his decision- instead of trying our luck with the other calipers, we’re just going to go ahead and replace all of them. No more fighting and breaking bleeders, no trying to unfreeze stuck pistons and parking brake mechanisms. We’re just going to send them in for core credit and have nice clean working calipers on all four corners. I’m cool with that.