So, many of you may have seen how Jalopnik posted a list of the 10 Best Four Door Sedans on eBay for under 10K. I happened to be very close to one of them, so I went to check it out.
This one happened to be the 2007 Volvo S60R with under 94k. Being the owner of a 2007 S60R myself, I could truly do a decent comparison.
So I called the number on the eBay Ad for the R, and was greeted by a salesperson. We confirmed they had the car and to come in whenever and ask for her.
The dealer claims to be the biggest independent wholesale dealer in the Northeast, selling ~400 cars per month. I eventually got the dealer, to see a super small lot, a lot different from the aerial pictures on eBay.
They had a bunch of fresh-from-the-auction cars just sort of sitting around - all with issues. Firstly, there was a green Jaguar XF with four flat tires, a GL450 with a punched in window and sagging suspension, and then a ~2008 E63AMG with major quarter panel damage and various other damage. They all seemed to have come straight from a repossession.
Upon walking in to the dealer, I met with the salesperson who immediately asked whether I plan on paying cash or financing. Then she told me the dealer has a $600 processing fee added to all prices. After some finagling, she eventually went to get the R. I knew it was going to be rough, but not this rough...
Rear Emblems are misalaigned
Decent Quarter Panel/Rear Door Damage
Front Bumper ripped and barely hanging on
**The Money Shot
From what I noticed:
- +$5,000 in cosmetics and paint correction
- It has one of those clear bra's that is yellowing and destroyed
- Intercooler completely warped
- Whining noise coming from the right side of the engine
- Cloudy headlamps
- Curbed wheels
- Rear bumper and trunklid replaced - major orange peel
- Turn signals don’t work
- S button on transmission doesn’t work
- Behind the wheel nav buttons don’t work
- Needs new struts, and 4C
- Engine is tired and whiney
- Wheels are bent and need alignment
- Missing sunglass holder (last pic)
- Center console doesn’t open
- Rear View has like rusting on it or something
- Outside mirror turn signal has condensation
- The PO must have been pretty heavy set - the bolsters on the seat completely disappeared
Perhaps this R isn’t one of the 10 best 4-Doors Currently for sale on eBay for under 10K...
Although it makes me feel better that my R, albeit 10,000 miles newer is 10,000 times cleaner.