Lets see if I can make this oppo thingy do stuff....
Next year I'd like to pick up a new daily driver and I am torn between two choices which aren't even in the same class. I was wondering if anyone on oppo could help me with a decision, or tell me that I'm nuts... That works to.
I have a few requirements for a new daily that has helped me narrow down my endless search.
- I don't want something thats beige (both the color and the excitement level)
- Has to be able to move out of its own way
- Really would prefer a manual
Option 1: Ford Focus ST
While I am not normally a small car guy, I have driven the regular focus and fit really well. I also found it to drive nice and thought the interior was good for a car in its class. I think ford did an excellent job with the new focus over what was sold in the US in prior years. I have also read a lot of great reviews for the ST and I generally like how it looks in and out which is why I'm interested.
- Good gas mileage (23 city / 32 highway EPA)
- 252hp / 270tq
- 0-60 in 5.9 1/4 mile in 14.6 is very respectable
- Very well equipped for such a small car
- FWD - owning two RWD V8 vehicles, this is not a world I've dabbled with to much
- Compact - It is still a small car, and being that I'm 6ft 5in I was never a small car person.
- Price - its rather expensive for what is really still a focus. Only time will tell how well it holds its resale value
Option 2: Volvo S60R
It also has a nice interior (I'll be first to admit the center stack is a little bland) with fantastic seats and an absolutely beautiful gauge cluster.
(boost gauge not standard)
- Very comfortable and well equipped interior (Look at those bison seats!)
- 300hp / 300tq turbo 2.5 I5
- 0-60 5.5sec 1/4 mile 14 flat (C&D Aug 2003)
- AWD - better in crap weather
- Has a more mature, grown up image than the ST (which adds to the sleeper effect IMO)
- Full size car
- 15city / 22 highway - Willing to bet this car would get better MPG than my supercharged 04 marauder, but both are far worse than the ST
- R's are generally problematic and very expensive to maintain. If the haldex AWD angle gear goes out, prepare to cry
- Hard to find - I can take a 10min drive to the ford dealer and look at 6 ST's on the lot now, but finding a clean 6M R around me is proving to be tough, even worse when I try to find one in sonic blue
So what say you, people of oppositelock, what should I lean towards as a new daily driver?