I’m depowering a steering rack for my Miata build. It’s not going well.

I’ve started reassembling the rack on the bench, but it’s way too tight. It feels all bound up and is very difficult to move, and I haven’t even fitted the preload device yet which is for adjusting the drag on the rack.

I went with a bit of a different method to lock up the slop in the pinion. I twisted the top of the pinion relative to the bottom, and filled the gaps with steel wire, before lathering it all up in JB Weld. I suspect that by twisting it and locking it, rather then just locking it, I’ve essentially set it up in a warped fashion and that’s why it’s not smooth.

Tonight, disassembly and investigation. Hopefully I don’t have to burn all the JB Weld out.