So, since Presidents’ Day, been wrenching and spending money. Here she is ready for the ride home:
This was after a cursory washing. Good condition after sitting dormant in the sun the past three years. 64K miles. A new battery got her started on the first try. Most importantly, the number of pedals is correct.
Since being brought home:
- New intake boot, which fixed and idle issue, cleared the CEL and helped pass smog
- New tires. Holy shit the tires. Cords were showing.
- Radiator, fan, fan clutch, water pump, thermostat, coolant tank and hoses. Nothing had failed but, it’s a good preemptive move.
- Oil change.
- Most recently, replaced the back window on the top. Original was solid and broke the fourth time I put the top down. I was going to get a good wash and wax, but rain is in the Bay Area
On the docket:
- Brake refresh (rotors, caliper rebuild, pads, hoses, fluid)
- Diff and trans oil change
- Glue in the window switches...they push through the console, as is...20 year old plastic failed.
- Clear the ABS light. I understand it may be corroded contacts under the seats I need to clean
- Refoam the speakers...most are blown Replacing is either expensive or PITA due to depth issues, or configuration (Harmon Kardon system has crossovers built into the amp, so I can’t just drop in some coax or triax speakers and be done with it)
- Install Bluetooth thing so the phone works on the BMW head unit Yeah, I could buy a new unit, but I don’t like the cheesy modern units.
Holy shit it’s fun. It walks a little bit on rough surfaces, but that’s manageable. I drive it a couple days a week in good weather, so it’s a great toy.