(part one here)
Ok, so last time, we shed some weight out of the core of the case. Now it’s time to get the transmission out of that catch-pan and up where it’s easier to work on. I don’t have a transmission stand and I don’t feel like buying one, so I’m gonna show you guys how I use a standard engine stand.
But first, we’re gonna pull the bottom pan, filter, and valve body out, then fish out some accumulator pistons:
(Note: I did a lot of things out of order, so I’m trying to reconstruct the process here in a way that makes more sense than what I actually did. There’s a parking pawl here, but I didn’t remove until later. The next picture below shows it already removed from the case.)
Now that the hydraulics are out of the way, the bottom of the case looks something like this:
Now we’re ready to mount it on the stand. First, we remove the head from the engine stand...
...and bolt it right up to the case, using the bolt-holes from the pan. To avoid damage to the aluminum, each bolt gets a nylon washer where it meets the case:
Despite having partially gutted the transmission, it’s still pretty heavy. The good news is, we just have to wrestle the head back onto the stand, instead of trying to line up the bolts the hard way. Eat your Wheaties, lift with your legs, and voila!
To be continued... 41TE Teardown, Pt. III