68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff

Picking up from Part 5

Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement

So now with the motor and painted and looking good, it was time to turn back to the bodywork. This is where things decided to go farther then planned. This is when a lot of the stay at home stuff hit, so I was not able to work on the truck as its stored at my grandparents place. My grandfather would then get bored and go tinker on my truck to pass some time. Well that’s when he got the idea to turn this into a full frame off restoration. I called him one afternoon and he informed me he had pulled the cab off the frame by himself by making stands to hold the cab up as he picked it up with the cherry picker and floor jack and then built a cart for the cab to sit on to wheel around and work on. After 3 weeks apart I finally got over there to get pictures of his progress.

Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff

Well since we were this far now, decided to focus on getting the chassis complete so that when the Sheetmetal is painted, the cab can be set back on and start hooking everything back up. So got the frame coated in POR-15 and then got the engine and transmission set back into the frame.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Illustration for article titled 68 C10 Restoration Update - Part 6 - Unplanned Stuff
Advertisement

Still got a few things left on the motor. Still figuring out the pulley’s and belts needed for the front as I changed power steering and alternator brackets as the old setup wouldn’t allow you access to the power steering pump. So went back to original style brackets. Also swapping from the big HEI distributor to original points ignition.

Next update will be get us up to date on the current status of the project. 

Share This Story

Get our newsletter