I haven’t been as good about updating Oppo on my 944 Turbo project as I would have liked. For those unfamiliar, I bought a 1987 944 Turbo in alpine white with a cancan red interior in October of 2015, and have been slowly bringing her back to life. The car has over 506,000 estimated miles and needs a good deal of love.

I spent a good deal of time working on little things. The seats have been recovered, I rewrapped the steering wheel and shift boot, and started repairing the cracked dash. The windshield has also now been replaced.

The latest on what’s happened over the weekend. I spent all of last week prepping the car for a trip to Richmond for the Virginia International Auto Show. I reinstalled a half repaired dash board, airbags, and threw some moving blankets into the gutted interior to help dampen some of the sound. I also installed new Hella E-codes and Osram Nightbreaker bulbs. The car ready for state inspection before I took off Friday morning. Thursday night, for giggles, I pulled the dip stick to check the oil. No oil. So I removed the oil fill cap. Yellow milkshake. I was NOT pleased. Either way... I didn’t drive the car to Richmond over the weekend, lest I risk utter destruction of my engine.

Got the Hella e-codes installed. My broken fog lights now work too.

Advertisement

Fast forward to last night. I filled the car with oil to bring the level back up to an acceptable reading. I drove the car a half mile up the road to our weekly car meet. Apparently, I’m spitting a small amount of white smoke out of the tailpipe under boost. Hoorah.

The plan is to let the car sit. I haven’t lost any power, so I can assume my head gasket is fine. Coolant can enter the combustion chamber a few different ways on these cars. Mainly, through the oil cooler and/or turbo (yes it’s a water cooled turbo in 1987). I’ve ordered Blackstone oil lab kit for giggles. The car should be going in to the local Porsche guru for professional diagnosis soon. I need to replace the water pump and timing belt anyways.

Advertisement

Enjoy the various photos below from the past few months. The full project album can be found here on Facebook.

Meow.

Advertisement

Resealing the leaky tail lights
Dremeling out the cracks.

Advertisement

Plastic welding the grooves that were cut.
Plastic welds sanded smooth

Advertisement

New cancan red seats!
1.5" of bolstering added all around.

Advertisement

Stitching the steering wheel.
Carnage.

Advertisement

Done!
Rewreapped the shift boot.

Advertisement

Having new glass put in.
New windshield.

Advertisement

Cleaning the garage on a snowy day.