The intention: Mow the grass, finish up shortly before lunch, have the rest of the day to relax.
Tractor had a flat tire. “Darn” I said, as this was a wheel I’d already put a tube in a couple years ago (originally tubeless... 35+ years ago, dry rotted into leakyness). Being on the front, I was able to limp it over to the garage to put air in it, figuring I’d mow and make note to buy a tube this week.
Alas the air came back out as quickly as I put it in. The tube needed to come out now if I was going to mow, or even make it back into the shed.
I hate doing tubes in these tires, they’re very old and thus hard, and seem to have the thickest bead in the world.
Putting an appropriate sized bar in the bench vise makes a convenient not-really-tire-machine to work on, and something to pry against to get the (now-lubricated) tire off the wheel on this side with the wrong tools.
The old tube came out and had a tear near the valve stem. I couldn’t find a corresponding defect on the wheel, so this was either damage from installation or a defect in the tube which, in either case, finally flexed enough to become a big leak.
I don’t have any pictures of putting the tire back over the bead because it was very difficult and involved a second set of hands, thus leaving -3 available to take a picture.
The grass has all now been cut, I skipped lunch, and my “rest of the day” to relax is greatly truncated, but at least it’s done (and I was able to get the right size tube locally!). When I did this one previously, I did both fronts. Time will tell if the other one will need re-done soon or if this was a fluke.