OK, so got Onibaba up and running this weekend, and as a result I’m posting a nice big update with lots of pics.

Lets start off with the sway bars. I went ahead and installed both the front and rear upgraded units, but general consensus of people who track their Miata’s regularly is that the best set up is a thicker front and a stock rear, so I may be reverting to the stock rear bar and just using the poly bushings I have for the stock bar.


Gotta remove the front under tray to remove the front bar....fun fact, if you don’t put this back on your Miata will very likely over heat as this serves as ducting.


End links off...

Advertisement


Comparison of the old and new

Advertisement


and new bar and adjustable end links on

Advertisement


comparison of the rear bars....

Advertisement


And on....but what’s that? The studs are made of aluminum foil and are only torqued to 5ft/lbs?

Advertisement


*sigh* I knew that was going too well. Ah well it was an easy fix, but still meant Onibaba kept earning her name.

Next up, new rear rotors and pads

Advertisement

Advertisement


This is where I found out that a 2nd pair of hands is a wonderful thing when doing brakes, because those shims and pads do NOT want to stay where I was putting them.

Advertisement


Whatever, got them on, the car now has Hawk HPS pads and Centric cryo treated rotors on all 4 corners.

Next up, removing the frame for the top, and mounting the new soft top to it. Yes, this can be done without removing the frame, but we figured this would give us more room to work.

Advertisement

Advertisement


It’s out! Time to mount the new top.

Advertisement


Ok, now that is done, time to set it off to the side and get the roll bar mounted up.

Advertisement

A bit of trimming was required to make it fit properly.

Advertisement

it’s located, time to start drilling holes and bolt this bastard down!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Can’t forget the seatbelts....seriously that would be a huge pain since I would have to remove the bar to add them in later.

Advertisement

And done!

Next up the new look for the wheels!

Advertisement


Not too bad for a rattle can job....unfortunately I need to fix 2 of them. The tire shop messed them up wen they were mounting and balancing the new tires. It’s partially my fault though, I really should have let them dry one or 2 more days before taking them to have tires mounted up.

Next up some chassis bracing in the form of frame rail braces from Flyin Miata.

Advertisement


Installation is pretty easy, if bit intimidating since it does involve drilling holes into the floor pan to bolt them up.

Advertisement


They’re good looking pieces though, love the etching on them.

Next, and last we have the exhaust work.
All the old and nasty OEM stuff is getting replaced with this stuff

Advertisement

Racing Beat Stainless 4 into 1 tubular header, Magnaflow high flow cat, Flyin Miata resonated mid pipe, and a Flyin Miata N/A single tip muffler.

Advertisement

the old nasty muffler vs shiny new Flyin Miata unit

Advertisement


and the old boat anchor they call an exhaust manifold

Advertisement


New muffler is on, once again, love the etching on the tip. Not pictured, the resonated mid-pipe is on too.

Advertisement


and the old exhaust manifold is out....after much cutting and bashing and swearing and.....the old bitch definitely earned her name on this part. (no me being barefoot in the garage is not a normal thing I had forgotten to take pics of the stuff I removed and went back out to take the pic after taking a shower, and was just too damn lazy to put shoes on for the 30sec that would take).

Advertisement


it looks so bare!

Advertisement


Nice shiny new gasket to go with the nice shiny new header!

Advertisement

Oh, and I may have accidentally broken that PCV hose durring the extraction process....stupid brittle old rubber.

Advertisement


And in it goes! such a pretty piece, it’s almost a shame to hide it under the hood!

Advertisement


Everything all buttoned up, just one last piece and the engine bay is done for now.

Advertisement


And there is is, a nice strut tower brace to firm up the front end a bit, and look good doing it.

Advertisement

From here I still need to put the interior back together, put the top on, and put back on a few exterior plastic trim bits ten she’ll be ready to ship off to the mech for some more work that ranges from stuff I can’t do (alignment & corner balancing), to stuff I just don’t want to do (new clutch, flywheel, braided clutch line, & slave cylinder), and a couple things I probably could do, but don’t feel entirely comfortable doing just yet (timing belt & water pump service, and the MSM intake cam installation). Hoping to have her at the mech by the middle of this month, and hopefully have her back before the month is over, but we’ll see. Then it’ll be time to just enjoy driving her, and spray her with plastidip to cover up the super shitty paint until I can afford to correct her cosmetic issues properly and get her a good professional paint job.