A friend had a piece of chrome break on his trim, and we tried vinyl wrapping to cover it up. I’ll kick things off with a finished pic to entice #clicks #content

I had never wrapped anything so small and with such tight curves, and thought it would be a fun challenge. Replacing the broken trim piece was going to be $250 from VW because it includes the whole piece with buttons included. It’s a common piece to break (the chrome on plastic chips and lifts off) so VW forums suggested buying the cheap imitation piece from China for ~$35 and just take the chrome trim and put in on the genuine VW piece. So with a worst case scenario of putting out $35 (and waiting 8 weeks for china delivery) we proceeded

first I tried candy style red spray over the chrome. you can see the damaged chrome at the top of the piece. It’s location meant that as you tried to get things out of the cubby in front of the shifter this razor sharp chrome would slice your finger

Advertisement

Advertisement

the candy spray was too orange, and would be hard to blend after fixing and filling the damage, so we decided to go vinyl.

Testing first on the good condition piece of chrome that’s on the cubby door

Advertisement

lay if on big, heat and let it lay into the curves and crevices, heat and push into crevices and pull over the corners and curves

Advertisement

hmm, ok, I def messed up those corners. RETRY! :D

Advertisement

much better

ok, onto the broken piece.

Advertisement

first I peeled back the flaking chrome piece until it had a good edge. filled with a plasti-metal filler. Then sanded smooth. May not look smooth, but it was perfectly smooth

Advertisement

lay it on big, heat and let it conform on its own

Advertisement

pulled down the outside edges, and trim.

Advertisement

heat and push the interior corner in as much as possible, then cut the relieve the tension.

Advertisement

then shape it into the interior corners and trim

Advertisement

looking good, and still fits. there was a slight concern that it might be too tight with the layer of vinyl, but it is very thin. And the vinyl didnt pull up at the edges when pushed into place. Pretty happy.

Advertisement

fitting well with the cubby in place.

Advertisement

I think these two pictures highlight how hard it is to photograph, but the colour matches the existing red stitching and trim far better than it appears.

Advertisement

Likely we’ll see how it holds up to some daily use and abuse, and possible do some more of the chrome trim to match. Or maybe not, because sometimes too much accent makes it a feature not an accent.