Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!

After the epic failure that was driving this pile from New Orleans back home to St. Louis I found some time to work on it last night.

With the head gaskets suspected to be the culprit it meant that my buddy Matt and I had to tear off the top half of the engine which ended up not being that bad as there was a decent amount of room to get the job done.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!

With the front wheels off you can work almost directly over the engine which really saves the knees as well as risk of scratching paint.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!

My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard!

Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!

The main challenge was actually the passenger side exhaust manifold. IT was a tight fit and provided the most struggle but my buddy Matt was victorious. The headbolts were oddly not as tight as I would have expected which was weird but this is my first LT1 so I have no clue what they should have been at. Another weird thing is that all of the bolts only have about 3/4" of thread engagement which I found strange but what do I know.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement

The gaskets were definitely shot. Both sides had a hole but the passenger side was by far the worst. We suspect that the gaskets were bad before I bought the car as the passenger side was so bad.

Passenger side below: This was the front cylinder

Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement

Driver side: Rear cylinder

Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement

Right now I have the heads at a shop getting checked for warpage and cracking but if all goes well I may have the car going again by Monday depending on how hard I hit it.

My garage is full of stuff that doesn’t run!

Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement

The LS2 from the Mustang all torn apart:

Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement

Oh yea, and another project lol

Illustration for article titled Adventurevette part 2 update, teardown!
Advertisement

Further updates to follow

Share This Story

Get our newsletter