So I bought my 996 a year ago having told my wife that a baby seat would fit in the back. This was not a lie! (I believed it!) It was not, however, exactly correct either. A front-facing child seat fits in a 996; a rear-facing infant seat, however, does not.
Given that my child is currently an infant and will be for the foreseeable future, barring any strange lab accidents, it is time for me to find a rear-facing child seat friendly daily that I can use for transporting the kiddo around now that my wife is going back to work.
Early contenders were a W123 or a W124, particularly a wagon on the latter. Would still love one, but the market is pretty thin and I’ve had a few slip through my fingers already.
However, with a two-week window a national search, the time to move is now. I’ve gotten more pragmatic with my search. General parameters are as follows:
- Price: $3,500 - $7,500
- Transmission: auto preferred so the wife can drive, but for the right car I’d go stick because she’s capable of getting competent on stick
- Needs to fit a rear-facing child seat, and I like wagons in particular
- Would be great if the car is a competent autocrosser as well as the 996 is getting retired from autox duty due to age/oil concerns.
So, I’ve come up with the following list
- E46 Touring: Cheap, spacious, mildly rare, pretty cool. Checks a lot of boxes
- Mk6 GTI: not cheap, stretching to get into my price range but a few will pop there, but would be a great autox car, the DSG is a great compromise, and they’re practical and cool. TSI motor is a let down for sure, though
- E39 5 series: cheap, plentiful, comfortable, spacious
Hit me with your thoughts, throw in any other options Oppo.