This is a platform for User Generated Content. G/O Media assumes no liability for content posted by Kinja users to this platform.

Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV

Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV

A vehicle I built sitting atop a vehicle I’m building. Poetic, no?

Even with the euphoria of surviving vehicular lobotomy, driving around without a rear wall/window in winter quickly got cold and old. So I set about closing off the glasshouse, starting from the top. Here’s a close up of the corners of the window frame before I started:

Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV
Advertisement

Closing off the space between the crossbar and the roof was one of the trickiest parts of the entire build. Flashback to the roof cut itself: for the final trim I projected a construction laser from below, then marked and cut through the two layers of original sheetmetal one at a time. It was actually a slightly curved cut relative to the roof plane since I was projecting a straight laser line at a 12° angle onto a curved roof.

Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV
Advertisement

For the close-off panel, I first rough cut a panel that was 1-2mm taller than the roofline. After grinding off several points along the top to be flush with the roof, I tack welded the panel in place. Then I went back and trimmed the entire length of the panel to follow the roof profile, before welding the whole seam.

Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV
Advertisement

Was rushing so I didn’t take many pics of the close-off for the sides of the window and pillar, but this sums it up.

Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV
Advertisement

At this point the window would just be a stopgap, so I used the laser cutter at work to cut a piece of tinted acrylic to shape, and mounted it to the inside of the frame with pressure sensitive adhesive tape. Figured I could switch to polycarbonate as a more permanent (and expensive!) solution down the road.

Also wired up a new CHMSL (center high mounted stop light or third brake light) so at least I’d be legal from a lighting perspective, if nothing else. Not a big fan of the giant bicycle light look, so this would also be temporary.

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV

And now for the killer app - lockable truck bed bicycle fork clamps. I was originally planning to mount these below the window, but with the bed being only ~4' long, the bike’s rear wheel wouldn’t fit within the bed!

Advertisement
Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV

The two fork clamps also double up as mounting points for a sheet material carrying frame that I fashioned from 80/20 channel. This is right after I got home from Ikea with BILLY in the back:

Illustration for article titled Baby Got Back Window - Project Prelute Part IV
Advertisement

Next couple of installments - closing off the bed, which took waayyy longer than anticipated...

Share This Story

Get our newsletter