This resulted in me driving my 1986 Cabriolet more than I had expected. To a predictable end.
So I did timing with a friend, and since I was in there...
Let’s have a look at that valvetrain...
Ah, a small crack at the back of the head. Not really a huge concern, as this is above the windage tray, filled with a bolt, and wasn’t leaking oil.
With the distributor now pointing the right way and timing set properly, it runs great!
And look, no more CEL!
And since I was in there, I put a bigger cam in (TT 260, largest I could have without changing valve springs), adjustable cam gear, and a new socket chip, giving me a 7200 RPM redline, a 93 octane map, and crackles. About a month ago I also got rid of my crappy chinese exhaust and put a Techtonics 2.25" one on. The old one wasn’t rusted out or cracked surprisingly after two winters- it was just very loud and didn’t sound great.