Assembled here are the best Oppositelock posts from Monday and Tuesday. It includes a hillclimb in a Mini, improving rally racing, tales from the drags and a cool engineering project.
In 1997 my dad took me to see a historic car hillclimb outside Siena, my home town. We'd just moved back to Italy from Australia and this was my first taste of European motorsport and good grief did I like it. Fast forward to the morning of Saturday May 10th 2014 and I feel sick, as I have done for the past four days when I wake up. Crap, this must be what pregnant women feel like. Why am I sick? Because today's the day when I strap in to the driver's seat of an Innocenti Mini Cooper 1300, get out from behind the camera lens, cross over the guard rail and become a race car driver in the Scarperia - Giogo hillclimb. Read more…
How to actually fix WRC - FreddsterExprs
Last week I read an article on the slow death of the WRC by Gabor Vajda (@Gabor_V) and how to save it. And what I gathered there was only point: better planning of where the WRC stages are placed. But the problems lay way deeper and need solving. Consider what's coming an open letter to Todt. Read more…
Tales From the Drags: Danger to Manifold - Justin is driven
Normally Sundays are pretty low-key. We run our regular weekly bracket race classes (pro, super pro, super pro bikes, and sportsman) alongside test and tune sessions. The bracket racers are generally our best customers - they know the drill, they show up on time for their class, and they rarely break. The guys you really need to watch out for are the test and tuners. Read more…
This College Final Project is Cooler than Yours - NotInDetroit
It's Finals season, which means you're reading this instead of actually studying, so, get off the damn computer and study. Oh, sure, you've got it down thanks to that late night cram session you're planning the evening before and you're going to continue to waste all this potentially productive time being right here. That, my friend, is why this thing from the mechanical engineering students of the Metropolitan State University of Denver is way cooler than your final project. Read more…
The Formula Freak Paddock Club – Barcelona Edition - FreddsterExprs
Welcome to the Formula Freak Paddock Club. It's far less exclusive and pricey than the real thing, but also more laid back and entertaining in its virtual entirety. We will cover pretty much everything interesting that has been going off track. Traditionally there's a lot to talk about as soon as F1 returns to its historic roots – Europe. Read more…
Say 'Group B' to any rally fan and you'll probably see their eyes light up thinking about flame spitting monsters of the forest endowed with far more power than was ever sensible. Citroen saw a problem however, how do you introduce someone to this in a slightly saner environment? Their answer was the four wheel drive Visa Mille Pistes. Read more…
NPoCP Guide to 1980s 911 models - themanwithsauce
I see a lot of people on the front page saying today's NPoCP is a possible NP just because it's a 911 shell in decent shape for under 20 grand. This is horrendously false as 18 grand can get you a slightly rough 911 from the 80s in good, driveable condition, just with high mileage. Let's do a little breakdown of three conditions you're likely to look at if you want a 911 to *drive*. Read more…
This Is Why You Don't Paint Your Volvo While High On Bath Salts - TheDailyTurismo
Kids, listen up. If someone ever offers you a jar full of blue pills or a bag full of something called "smack," just say no I'll think about it. The thing is, some day you might have a well tuned paint gun, an air compressor, a selection of leftover rainbow paint supplies, and, critically, a vintage Volvo canvas. Read more and also check out Last Night I Dreamed About A V4 Powered Saabricorn.
Oppo Review: 2009 Ford Super Duty - My Buick Is Too A Real Muscle Car
Ladies and Gentlemen, I have felt what it is like to drive a mountain, and I have launched that mountain into the air over some railroad tracks. Read more…
Some people call the SLS a GT car. It isn't. It's a super car. When it's doors open, it screams to be looked at, and everybody looks. That's what supercars do. This is the first time I've driven anything in the "Super" category. Read more…
The Best of the Rest
Audi For Life took photos at Portland C&C. Craig-oesterling watched the One Lap contestants at the BMW Performance Center. MountainCommand got to take out his dad's RX7. BullManUGA did hist first autocross in a Porsche 911 he doesn't own. APiDAOnline bought a rough e46 m3. Yowen went to the Gilmore Car Museum. Pixel got some parts for his C-10 at a swap meet. B_Dol hung out with a Diablo GT from C&C. MrTheEngineer attended C&C Las Vegas. Jlmounce's Firebird now has stopping power. Aya checked out a Honda Stepwgn and a Peugeot RCZ. HammerheadFistpunch's Cruiser got more tall. IDROVEAPICKUPTRUCK BOUGHTAWILLYS. Zachaput saw a DeTomaso Pantera at MN C&C. Federicomos shared pictures from West Chester, PA C&C.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good conversation on Monday and Tuesday. Take a peek and chime in on some of those listed below:
- What's your forbidden fruit, the car more tempting by not being available in your country?
- Post-Race Analysis - Spanish Gran Prix
- Would You Buy a Car From Mike Brewer?
- What Do Europeans Use to Plow Their Driveways?
- Coolest Car In A Random Ass Town: Saldanha (S. Africa)
- What is the fastest speed you have reached in a car?
- Advice/help/suggestions on road trip food
- Which Would You Rather?
- Favorite car on sale right now?
- Recent Stealership/Dealership Experience...
- Braking Techniques: How Not to Lurch
- Question for all you FiST drivers
- best beginner car? aaaaand go
- I love how non-car people can put things sometimes...
- Maximum OEM Turbo PSI?
- Coolest Car In A Random Ass Town: Temuco (Chile)
- Engine bay game!
- CarDomaining - "Boom, Headshot" Edition
- LaLDIECAST Official Photography Contest!
- Going to my first ever NASCAR Sprint Cup race soon! What to expect?
- Green used to be popular!
- Oppositelock Opinion Porsche 914
- "Lost a cylinder in the war" the 1cyl engine
- Craigslist Game: Worst Car to Buy
- How much does the image of a car factor into your purchase?
- What Car Needs to be Fitted with a Refrigerated Cubby?
- Which Would You Rather?
- Barcelona In-Season Test - Day 1
- Favorite Sedan on Sale Right Now?
- Best looking FWD car?
- How hard is it to rebuild a manual transmission?
Just the #tips
- VW- 10-speed DSG in the works for '15 Passat, new Twin-Turbo TDI
- Watch how big/small/deadly Russian helicopters are built/refurbished
- Cadillac ATS-V Running From People With A Camera
- GT6 to get Senna's Kart, 1980s Brands Hatch and Monza
- The Ford RS200 is a "Civilised Monster"
- 8 Signs You're a Biker N00B
- Cirrus Airplane With Emergency Parachute Caught On Video
- Rickshaw Racing
- Lexus RX driver makes extremely dangerous u-turn to avoid Bay Bridge
- Take a Opel front end + a VW front end what do you get??? a VWOPEL
- Big wheel down Laguna Seca's corkscrew
- Brampton Man Drives Around Honking Horn While Drunk...Is Arrested
- The Saab Facett. A forgotten unofficial prototype based off the Sonett
- Cosworth/Nameless Performance power for the Toyobaru Twins
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted on Oppositelock:
- A man and his Citroen: 2000 miles through Europe
- 5 Reasons Why It Sucks To Be A Car Enthusiast
- The Most Jalop Car For Sale This Year?