Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing on Monday and Tuesday. It includes a review of a bro-truck, deciphering the Chevy Aveo, Paul Walker, a Tatra that time forgot and more.
- Bro-Truck, The OppositeLock Review - Jay Lauer
I've never been much of a truck person. I respect them. I understand their use in the world, in the same way I understand the proper use of the Tic-Tac lid/holder, but I still don't use it. I've driven numerous trucks, diesel and gas alike, but I had never driven anything with a lift. This is a review of A lifted truck, not ALL lifted trucks.
- Deciphering the Chevy Aveo - CBWoodward
When I close my eyes and think of the lease inspired vehicle imaginable, there is one car and one car only that comes to mind: the Chevy Aveo. There's just something about that first generation Aveo that makes me think, "Why?" … It's a car that makes absolutely no sense.
- Paul William Walker IV - thedriver
AKA Brian Earl Spilner...."sounds like a serial killer". I figured I would start with some levity to begin a post bereft of humor. I know there have been a lot of these posted already. This is more for me than Oppo anyway, I never met the guy, certainly not in the position to write a eulogy… If anyone reads it, great. If you disagree or just want to make a joke in poor taste, don't bother.
- The Silver Lining to Paul Walker's Passing - Ryan Frew
This is my first post here, so I thought I might as well go with the controversial one that has been at the front of my mind since Saturday night. Apologies in advance if I offend anyone. It should be noted, beyond any shade of a doubt, that Paul Walker's and Roger Rodas' deaths are tragedies, the same as any other death that comes too soon. It is appropriate to grieve for their friends, family, and anyone else whose lives they touched.
- When Mitsubishi made an Evo with wings - NotInDetroit
Much has been made lately about the Porsche Carerra GT and how even highly trained and respected drivers are afraid to touch it. I don't need to tell you why that's become a big deal all of a sudden. But it does remind me of several discussions I've had with people who happen to be highly trained professionals for a different mode of transportation.
- How Dealerships Shoot Themselves in the Foot - Ian Duer
There are some questionable practices by car dealers. I'm sure this is news to no one. In this case, however, I have to wonder. Who's at fault? A few months back I discovered a local dealership that tends to carry a selection of relatively inexpensive daily-driver candidates for car-people. Unlike your average dealer lot, in which you'd be lucky if every tenth car had three pedals, this lot seemed to be composed of about half manuals. I initially took this to be a good sign.
- Cars that Time Forgot: MTX Tatra V8i - RaymondStantz
Tatra makes trucks. Amazing trucks might I add. Rugged, reliable, and read to take Dakar head on. That being said, I'm sure a few of you are already frothing at me for not mentioning their cars. Large, rear engined V8 cruisers. Very attractive and futuristic looking stuff, even inspired the Beetle we all know and love/detest. That all being said, I'm not here to discuss their trucks or cars. They're all certainly worth writing about, but there's something else there. Tatra went out one day and built a supercar. Yep, a supercar.
- Looking for a winner in America's Pony Car War - Juan Barnett
As we prepare for the latest pony car from Ford, the 2015 Mustang, I wanted to look back at the last few years of pony car sales to see where Dearborn stood in comparison to it’s crosstown rivals, Camaro and Challenger.
- The Dragon Rapide - JayhawkJake
Aside from being pretty, the Dragon Rapide is rather boring, but it was very successful. So here's a photo/video dump and brief overview of the British short haul passenger airliner from the 1930s, which I'm always reminded of when I see an Aston Martin Rapide.
- The battle of the Italian 4x4s - Reborn Pyrrhic
Four wheel driving can be fun. Whether it is taking the road less traveled, bombing down an unpaved road, or just braving the winter weather no matter what it throws at you, there are some advantages of having traction going down all four wheels.
- Buy A Stock Eagle Talon TSi To Honor Paul Walker's Legacy - TheDaily Turismo
In case you've been living in a cave the last few days, the acting/automotive world lost a great one this weekend when Paul Walker died in a Porsche Carrera GT crash north of Los Angeles. What better way to honor his legacy as an actor and gearhead by featuring one of his movie rides. Also check out some Musings On Buying & Selling Cars On Craigslist Vs eBay and This 1968 Thunderbird Owned By DeForest Kelley Is The Real McCoy.
- Senna - The Lumpy44 Review - Lumpy44
Well another quiet Sunday night with me and Netflix. I have decided to watch the documentary called Senna. I know its about Ayrton Senna and F1 racing but know very little of the story other than that. I have created a commentary as I watch the movie which you can read, though it won't make much sense if you haven't seen it.
The Best of the Rest
EvoIXMR visited Pagani, Ferrari and Lamborghini. Quittywhip experienced the old and strange cars of San Fransisco. Audi For Life got the opportunity to be one of the photographers for Quattrofest 2013. Travis and Raphael met a stanced BRZ while testing the 2014 Corvette. Patrick George bought a mini BMW, as did deadpedal. DasWauto went to the 2013 Rally of the Tall Pines. CKeffer bought a Focus ST and youshiftem picked up a Volvo V70. A young jbh practiced for his future as a BMW driver. Mycarneverruns87 got back to working on swapping an LS into his fox body Mustang. Redbulldidlo picked up a new project. Gizmo-ms3 showed us his former 1997 Prelude. Chairman Kaga got his GTV6 inspected and registered, huzzah. CRZRSN spotted a Dakota convertible. Msatlas got busy spiffying up his Grand Cherokee. NaturallyAspirated came across an nice Shelby GT350H [clone].
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion between Thursday and Sunday. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- What is the best F1 helmet design?
- Cars that exude presence
- What highly-regarded car brands just make you go "Meh"?
- What are you for Insurance?
- Show Us: The Ultimate Winter Sleeper
- Cars I've never seen in the fles...er, metal
- Unicorn Hunters
- What Gawker Media Sites Do You Visit?
- What cars did you forget existed?
- What is your opinion on the Lexus IS300?
- Show us the Best Looking Eco Car
- Cars and Songs: Focus ST
- Toyota Vs. Volkswagen
- Would You Consider These: Chevrolet Estates
- Car Domaining - "Illegal Battery Corrosion" edition.
- Trucks YOU would drive
- Smoking in your (a) car?
- How OCD are you about your car?
- What are the most capable studless snow tires?
- Craigslist Hunt: $8,000 Factory Off Roader
- RALLY ALL THE THINGS!
- What is the least-collectible generation Corvette?
- Which car is/was available with the largest differential in cylinders?
- What are the best halogen head light bulbs?
- What Color Would You Get it In: Audi TT RS
- What Color Would You Get it In: Bentley Mulsanne
Just the #tips
- Rebuilding a T-10 [neat]
- Another Toyota sells for around US $1M
- Audi teases 2014 LMP1 car
- Triple Caution! Concentrate, Sammy, Please
- Stop What You're Doing And Watch The Chinese Remake Of Top Gun
- A screeching W25 attended the Klausenrennen hillclimb this year
- Sonoma Raceway experiences Illegal U-Turns in lot
- Nico Hülkenberg has signed with Force India
- ROC Cancelled
- Escort MK1 Slideways With Pure Sound
- New Pulse Weapon Brings Cars To A Halt, Dystopian Future Ensues
- Toyota's highlights from the Bahrain race
- "The mighty 190" Mercedes 190 rap video is legit. Yo.
- Mazda to race in the Thunderhill 25-hour with three SKYACTIV-D diesel race cars
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- 2014 Jaguar F-Type V8 S...Illegally Loud?
- The latest Blipshift shirt was submitted by me! Check it out.