Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people put a good deal of effort into writing over the weekend and Monday. It includes an argument that race car drivers are not athletes, a Talbot that didn't suck, how to teach someone to drive a manual transmission and more.
- Donovan McNabb is right, race car drivers are not athletes. They are something far more impressive… - phathead
We all have that moment. That one second behind the wheel of a vehicle where we thought, "This is it." Perhaps a corner was taken a little too fast, perhaps there was a sudden lack of grip but for that brief moment there was an acceptance that death was near. There are two ways to respond to surviving this moment. Some embrace the fear, aching never to repeat it again. Others relish in it, skirting on the edge of control and the edge of death, yet coming out victorious. The latter… well those are motorsports fans.
- I Convinced My Dad to Buy a FR-S... With Your Help - Joe McMullen
We all know and love the Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ: the affordable, lightweight, balanced, reliable, and tunable hoonmobile for the masses. I've followed this car since its infancy, as I know many of us have and its production manifestation is a truly great car. But for me, it's more than that. This is my story about the FR-S, my dad, and how something as seemingly material as a car can have a much deeper impact on a person.
- A Car Time (Wrongfully) Forgot - RaymondStantz
It's probably no secret that I like cars that have either been forgotten or weren't particularly good in the first place. Largely, those two tend to go hand in hand. I've got one of those. It's pretty terrible by all means. Remarkably, there was a good car with a Talbot badge. I swear. It was 1981, rallying was still shy of the mercurial Group B era, and the smell of Bovril filled the air. It's cold, damp, and completely insufferable, but all entirely worth it for a glimpse of driving greatness. Trust me this is going somewhere.
I've seen this question posted more than once on Oppositelock: "How do I learn how to drive a manual transmission?" Kudos to the driver looking to come in to the One True Faith, but I've never felt that I had any worthy advice, and then my daughter turned 17 years old. I spent six months teaching her safe and practical driving techniques on our daily drivers (an XC70 and Taurus SHO). Both are automatic transmission with all the ModCons. But I swore to myself that no child of mine was going to be ignorant of manual transmission, and the day would come when I would have to step up and put a teenager in my FunCar... a supercharged 2007 Lotus Elise Type 72D.
- Go Hooning In A Plasti-Dipped Mercedes 190E With 2JZ Supra Power - TheDailyTurismo
The Mercedes-Benz W201 generation 190E was the predecessor to the people's Mercedes - the C-class. Even in 2.3-16V Cosworth spec, the 190E is a bit pokey, but this 190E has been given an injection of Japanese spice into its plate of schlachtschüssel.
If you're on Oppo or Jalopnik, chances are you don't need me to fill in the big blanks on who Niki Lauda is. However, if you went to see Rush, you might want to dig up a copy of Lauda's autobiography to get some worthwhile context on that year and on the life of the film's underdog.
- 2003 Lincoln LS V8- The Opposite Lock Review - Arch Duke Maxyenko
The Lincoln LS was Ford’s attempt to bring Lincoln a BMW 5-Series competitor in order to gain younger clientele. They wanted to make a proper European sports sedan with independent rear suspension, rear wheel drive, 50/50 weight distribution, along with the luxury amenities one would expect.
The Best of the Rest
Baber K. Khan visited Mordor. Nick the Stick went to the Baja 1000. EddyE posted some of his racing photos from 2013. Several Oppositelock posters organized a meet up; MountainCommand took photos, Agrajag did a picture dump, Aaron Brown shared his photos, Matthias Rios posted photos and dash cam video. TwinTurboBMW shared pictures from C&C Portland. Louros did a photoshoot with his Mini. DannyCatSteve shared his experience from the USGP, as did Bob Loblaw. SonorousSpeedJoe spotted a unicorn Saab 9-5. Consistently inconsistent introduced himself and a sweet '62 T-Bird at his work. McChicken116 attended the USGP, found out where McLaren was staying, met Alexander Rossi and saw David Coulthard. Lutze spotted a new C-Class testing around Stuttgart. BJohnson11 fabbed up the exhaust for his truck. The Swedish Bandit bought a 180sx winter beater and did some work on it. StoneCold got his '69 Boss 302 into the shop. Whitetrashsteve bough a Passat. CRZRSN posted some of his dash cam videos. The Real Dacia Sandero attended C&C in Williamsburg. The Jevans did some work on his Miata. Erob599 met Ed Bollan.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion over the weekend and Monday. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- What is the ugliest color that has come stock on any production car?
- DD Track Burn
- What's the best sounding Stock Exhaust?
- Do Track Times Even Matter?
- Realistic Dream Garage
- Dream Garage: Financially irresponsible edition
- What is the Most Beautifully Designed Aerodynamic part?
- 2010+ BMW 328i & 335i Sedans (E90) vs. 2011+ BMW 128i & 135i Coupes (E87)
- How Often Does Your Fantasy Garage Change?
- Do these electronic gizmos make us worse drivers?
- What's your Top 10 Garage?
- Cars that could have been but never happened
- Do strut tower bars actually help?
- Snow tire suggestions?
- What's your favorite boxy car?
- What's the fastest you have driven?
- Favorite Petrolicious film?
- What Color Would You Get it In: Cadillac CTS-V
- What Color Would You Get it In: Lamborghini Gallardo?
Just the #tips
- Why do I keep seeing asshats?
- McLaren Day at Circuit of the Americas
- Safety Car Fail Video
- 10 Signs you might be a ricer
- 2013 Baja 1000 Highlights
- F1 Grand Prix of America - Qualifying in Pictures
- American Grand Prix in Pictures
- The Man Who Won a NASCAR Race by Turning off His Engine
- Poor clutch, poor engine, poor car
- Hill climb is on the menu for lunch...
- CCC / GM Autogasm Video
- Driving & Talking: 2014 Corvette Stingray (First Drive)
- Video of Russian 737 Crash
- Pilot Makes Beautiful Approach Into Clouds Directly At A Mountain
- F1: USGP drivers parade classic car stall and crash
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- The Best Under-$30K Vehicles For One-Car Families
- F1 Technical on Oppo - American Grand Prix
- 50 Years Ago: The Sights and Sounds of the 1963 US Grand Prix