Gathered here are the Oppositelock posts that people have put a good deal of effort into writing from the last 24 hours. Today it includes tire dynamics, a quick ride in a Mazda Cosmos, a guide to taxis of NYC and more.
- Drive better with a Traction Budget - Tom Bennett
In cars, the four contact patches that tires create with the road are your only connection point with the earth. (If there's anything besides the tires contacting the road, you're doing something wrong.) You'd be surprised to see how small these patches are. Take a look at a tire on the ground, and remember that each one's contact with the road is approximately as large as your hand print.
- Can you really flip cars for money? - the driver
I'll say it up front, I've probably been watching too much Fast N' Loud, and hence I have this crazy notion that I can flip cars for money. The premise is simple enough, find a cheap car that has "potential", buy it, fix it up (just enough, not too much) and resell it for more than you invested. But I'm sure there is more to it than that!
I'm thinking of getting a small, classic car for me to work on on weekends so i'm starting to look for one. Then, my neighbour ask me, "Aya, are you interested in owning a 1985 Mazda Cosmo?" Because i don't know what the fuck a Mazda Cosmo is, my neighbour takes me to his friend's home and shows me the car.
- Donks are Not Terrible, and Who Are You to Criticize? - TheSupremeLou
I feel like I'm not going out on a limb in saying that we all hate the Donk culture around here. The cars look gaudy and ridiculous raised up to accomodate oversized rims, slathered in ridiculous vinyls or pastel colors. Every Oppo probably looks at those cars with their brains screaming, "What an idiot! Who would ruin a Caprice like that?! He should be hung from his 36" rims."
- In Plain Sight: A Guide to New York City's Taxis, Part I - Caprice-Capish
Yesterday we dove into the history of these yellow beasts and what makes them so special to this city. Today, I present the first part of my comprehensive guide to all the models currently in service, starting with the offerings from Ford and Toyota - by and large the vast majority of the entire fleet.
- 2 Top Drivers at Ferrari Next Year? - DasWauto
Do you really think this is going to fly? Would Kimi accept a role as a second driver? No. Can Alonso deal with a competitive teammate? No. Can Ferrari operate without favouring one driver? IMO, no. So what's going to happen? What about Alonso leaving the team?
- The Opposite Locker - WayBack Wednesdays - FractalFootwork
Determined by Top Gear (and, well, everyone else) to be a "pornographer's car", the Nissan 300ZX was the deal of a century. The buttons on the steering wheel, glass t-top roof, and rear wheel drive all helped contribute to a compelling argument. The only question that remains is: was it actually cool?
- V8 swaps in Zs? - GhostZ
I just found this National Geographic video about Compton street racers who have a 240z... with... you guess it, a 575ish HP V8 with nitrous. Warning: it's about street racers who take their car to the track to go professional, so if you're squeamish, avoid. It's a good video that gives a pretty impartial and direct view on what's going on. I love these NatGeo documentaries for that reason, and there's a surprising number of them about cars in general. It shows both the benefits and dangers of street racing, and it does the same with track racing.
- Silver cars are so boring. Blue is the new silver - Speedmonkey
Silver cars have been around for almost as long as cars have been around. But the original Silver Arrows were a product of weight saving and bare metal. I've no idea when the first silver cars started to become really popular. My own car is silver. My last car was silver. But I'm bored of silver. Silver is so old. My next car will definitely not be silver.
- This 2000 Lincoln LS Is A Manual Transmission Equipped Unicorn - TheDailyTurismo
Last year 20th Century Fox distributed a film called "Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter" that got an abysmal 35% rating on rottentomatoes. The idea of Abe Lincoln battling a group of vampires is about as far fetched as taking a 5-speed Lincoln apex hunting on a race track...but one actually happened.
The Best of the Rest
MountainCommand attended the Orange County Meet. JayhawkJake dechromed parts of his Sonic. V8CorvairPickup wrote a rant on gas station etiquette. 4B11tFTW shared the photos of his run-in with a deer. Rows His Own swallowed a bitter pill in selling his 330ci. MeHugTree introduced his fleet of vehicles. MonkeyPuzzle posted some nice photos from an off road trip. Youshiftem made a car-chase video with his friends in College. Cixelsyd saved himself $500 by repairing the mirror on his IS250. IDriveAPickupTruck just picked up his new (old) 1978 Volvo 242. 505Turbeaux was never more prepared for winter than 2 years ago.
As always, If I've missed something and you would like me to include it, let me know.
There were several posts that asked questions and sparked some good discussion over the last day. Take a peek and chime in on some of them listed below:
- What is the best way to learn how to be a [home] mechanic?
- What would be a good first manual rwd car?
- One Car Garage - Chevrolet
- 500$ Project car... part 2
- My driving + Show us how you drive
- Flying to houston, driving back! What car should I buy?
- Show us: Your favorite automotive quotes
- BMW's hatchback-sedan-coupe-SUV X6 and X6M Opinions
- Show Us: Your Favorite Felipe Massa + Ferrari Pictures
- For a realistic DD, slightly used GTI, or more used 128i?
- Feedback on 2005 XTerra S 4.0L 6-speed, as a daily driver
- Tesla Model S testdrive scheduled, Questions?
- Nice Pipe or Crack Pipe: Flag Edition
- Is the Term "Supercar" Overused?
Just the #tips
- The Coolest Gearheads You'll Ever Meet
- MP4 Spirited Drive
- BrownDogWelding videos with Miller are finally up
- God dammit Robert. Don't you want to get back to Formula 1?
- Too much Oppo for this poor 3-Series
- Toyota is developing a hybrid GT86/FR-S
- 2008 Cadillac XLR CUSTOM NEOCLASSIC
- Federal government continues to hand over money to automakers
- 5th gen Camaros doing reverse entries
- This GT-R Crashes into a Dodge Dart in a Drag Race
- Indian Tractor Tug of War Goes Bad when Tractor flips and Opponent Continues to Drag Him
- Russian Flintstones
- Poor people's Pope doesn't pontificate over popping out in R4
- Avantime is back, sort of
- Dawn til dusk in a Jaguar XF - and why the Jag made my journey bearable
- Dave Mirra no longer driving for Subaru in the GRC
- 2013 Coronado Speed Festival
- Enter to Win a Gaudy Jeep!
These posts have already been shared with Jalopnik directly but deserve to be mentioned again because they were first posted in Oppositelock:
- The Mazda Furai Burned To Death In 8 Minutes, Hidden From Help
- 10 Things You Didn't Know About the Mazda Furai