Breathing on the camper.

Illustration for article titled Breathing on the camper.
Photo: I’m really sick of this already.

Unsurprisingly, we identified a few issues with the camper when we took it out this past weekend. I spend the bulk of yesterday working on those.

Advertisement

The big issue was the right rear corner of the top, wasn’t going up as far as the other corners. The real problem this was causing, was the top of the door would catch the roof’s weatherstripping (see blue tape over the door).

After doing some research about the particular lift system these campers use, I pulled off a sheet metal cover to reveal this. This is called a wiffle tree ... for reasons.

Advertisement

Photo: I’m really sick of this already.

Illustration for article titled Breathing on the camper.
Photo: I’m really sick of this already.
Advertisement

There were also some remnants of an old mouse nest ... eww.

Anyways, the one that is turned in way farther, is the cable that leads to the right rear lift arm. This is after I adjusted it. I adjusted the right front a little as well, as it was a touch low too.

Advertisement

Now the door clears nicely. I glued the weatherstripping back in place, and moved onto other issues. The door latch was rather difficult to release from the outside. Difficult enough that my little one couldn’t open it, and the big one could only sometimes open it. I pulled that apart and made some adjustments. It’s still difficult, but a lot less so. The big one can open it now consistently. The little one still can’t. I may go buy a screen door latch from Ace, and see if I can make that work.

I then moved onto replacing the shock cord on the front bunk. This was broken, and the bottom on the front end tent couldn’t be properly secured. The previous owners had already purchased the supplies for this, so I installed them.

Advertisement

Finally I added a level bubble to the side of the trailer. Now I don’t need to travel with a level, or go with my finally tuned eyeball.

The next major issue to deal with is the water system. The pump works, but the fresh water tank is NASTY! There is also a leak somewhere between the pump and the hot water heater (possibly the water heater itself, although I don’t think it’s that). Honestly, I would just abandon the whole thing and not use it, but the boss wants it fixed.

Advertisement

I’m tempted to just throw away the old tank, and put this little guy under the sink, if there is room. I haven’t measured under there yet. It’ll be close, but I think I can make it work. Or I could put it under one of the dining table seats, but that’s on the other side of the camper, and will require cutting in a new tank inlet, and getting really creative with the running of new water lines. I’d really rather not do that.

Weirdly, there is no grey water tank. The sink just drains out of the side of the camper. That doesn’t feel right to me.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter