If your Ford had a Matthew McConaughey, it would be a Lincoln

Bronco Update

As most of you probably forgot, I’m restoring a 67 Bronco to sell now. But no worries, I’ve got a huge photo dump of what I’ve been up to.

Here’s the starting point.

Advertisement
Advertisement

So here I’ve gotten the seats out and sent to upholstery. I’ve also begun prep for Herculining the cab.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

While dirty, it’s still 100% rust free.

Advertisement
Advertisement

In that first photo, you can see that the first product I bought turned out to be clear.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

This is while the liner was still wet, but I consider it overall a massive improvement.

After that I turned my attention to the undercarriage. While solid and rust-free, it was old, weathered and discolored.

Advertisement

Sadly, I don’t have a pre frame-painting photo. I’ve always been bad at taking before photos, but just imagine it’s also surface-rust colored.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Like everything else under the body, I spent hours with a wire wheel, sand paper and tack cloth to prep the undercarriage. And that’s after scraping the dirt and mud off, which now coats the shop floor.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

For the frame I used high-heat roll cage and frame paint from VHT. The axles (Dana 44 front and Ford 9" rear) were both in good shape and painted with the same material. The undercarriage I coated with 3M professional body undercoating. It’s spray on with an paint gun with rubber particles.

Advertisement

Top v bottom comparison.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Here’s after the diffs and axles received paint.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Here’s after most all the painting was done, including diffs, axles and the gas tank. A new exhaust system is getting installed once everything else is buttoned up and all that’s left under there now is another round of cleanup.

Advertisement

Also applied the coatings to the wheel wells. Basically this coating went everywhere that paint and Herculiner didn’t already go. As you can see, the original green mixed with surface rust shines through and is really noticable.

Advertisement

After the first coat. Don’t worry guys, applied two more and covered the bare spots.

Advertisement

Same theory with the engine bay.

Advertisement

Clearly not done, but it gives an idea.

Last but not least, I’ve got the carpet started. I’m one day in and not far at all. Most molded carpets are never molded that well to begin with, but this Bronco has a full cage to cut around and metal plate that raises the passenger seat to the same height as the drivers. It’s been a pain, but this whole process is such a breath of fresh air.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Oh and I repainted the roll cage gloss black.

So all in all, I’m a full week and a half into the project and really quite thrilled with my progress. The seats are being reupholstered in a peanut butter colored boat leather for water resistance. and the whole truck will be repainted soon, but I’m still working on the color. Mechanically, it’s super solid. I’m just bringing back it’s shine.

Advertisement

Hope you all enjoyed! I’ll keep updates going.

Share This Story