Well. My mechanism design teacher decided we needed to make an experimental Grashof mechanism.... Without giving us tools, parts or a motor to use... So I went in search of legos and made one myself.

The issue is that these old lego beams and their joints, well, they have a lot of friction I believe the black joints are meant to be immobile. The motor I was using didn’t have enough torque to move them. So I built a gearbox.

Then later on I tried to make a double rocker mechanism but I didn’t make it correctly, so I destroyed a gear. Goes to show what a 8.5:1 gearbox can do.

Advertisement

I ran out of gears for the type, so I used a slip gear instead, this way I wouldn’t be blowing gearboxes anymore.