After being distracted by a fleet of Volkswagens I’ve returned to figure out what is wrong with the Burgman.
On our last episode, I replaced both coils and both plugs and they only worked for about ten miles.
I have about 3 known good coils so I started swapping them around. No matter what I kept getting the C25 error.
Finally, today I pulled back the electrical tape on the wires. The coil wires were bundled tightly with the radiator fan wires. They pass visual inspection with flying colours. I was about to throw in the towel and take it to a mechanic when the scooter began running on two cylinders, right after I bumped into the wire taking my hand out.
Hmmm...testing further, if I wiggle the wires to the right side coil a certain way the right side begins firing again. This explains the intermittent misfire leading to no firing at all. The coil is fine, it is the wire (or connector) that is bad.
In fact, it’s actually broken like an iPhone cable. Bend it down and the cylinder stops working. Bend it up and it runs great. That’s probably how I’ve been able to ride it some days... the wire was jusssst in the right spot.
My next step will be narrowing the issue down further to the connector or the section of wire. Might end up replacing both just to be safe.
Home run stretch!!! I can't wait to get this thing back running properly again.