Don't want my career to end up like this:
Would it be a good idea or terrible one to go from being a salaried engineer in a role that requires a 4-year engineering degree, to a hourly "engineer" (really a tech 3 or 4) job.
- There would be a 50-75% increase in income in going to the hourly job
- I'm really ready to leave the company I currently work for
- Current company offers little in the way of potential for advancement
- prospective company is tremendous and has many long-term options
- I plan on getting my PE, which requires 4 years of "progressive engineering experience", and although this position may be progress in some ways, it would be a regress in others.
I'm thinking there's little risk, other than perhaps the new job somehow not working out before I get a promotion and needing to look for a job with what is basically a tech job as the most recent thing on my résumé.