Since the Powerglide came out a couple weeks ago, the going has been slow on the Chevelle 4-speed swap, but it’s at least been going. Between long hours in the office and spending last week on-site for work, I haven’t had a ton of time. I’ve been taking advantage of the lack of transmission and crossmember to clean up (i.e. scrape off old undercoating) and re-finish the front part of the floors, as I did the rest of the floors last year.
Last night I got more scraping done, all that’s left is the passenger’s footwell area (which I plan to do after I post this). Today I cleaned up the crossmember via a wire cup wheel on my grinder, after removing most of the gooey stuff with the scraper I’ve been using on the floors.
It made fast work of cleaning up the crossmember for sure. I also think I have little bits of old, dried-then-melted-then-flung bits of undercoat stuck in my arms. After a quick degreasing, it was time for primer.
Something about red oxide primer reminds me of one of the places I used to work. I don’t know why. Anyway, it was followed by paint.
I think it turned out pretty well. I also cleaned and painted the clutch z-bar, which was very banged up from shipping. Parts were turning out so nicely I wished I had more stuff to paint black. Maybe it was just the fumes.
About that goal - this transmission swap was originally intended to be something I worked on this spring and wrapped up as the weather broke. That turned into “this spring” which turned in to “this summer” and it is now fall. The real goal is now to have the car back on the road by the end of the month. Other than u-joints and a starter, I have or have-ordered all the parts I know of that I’ll need.
I’d like to actually get to drive this car this year more than when I took it to the gas station in April...