So it seems I tickled some of y’all the wrong way with my (perfectly. reasonable.) opinion post earlier. To make up for it I’mma share with you my favorite recipe, with pics that might melt your modem so view at your own risk.
This is by no means a traditional ratatouille, in fact it’s the result of me kludging three different recipes together. It is however incredibly flavorful and hearty even without meat and it makes a good winter dish.
- Prep time: I dunno, 45 mins?
- Cook time: All fucking day because that’s just how french cuisine is.
- 1 each red, yellow, orange peppers
- 1 each eggplant, yellow squash, green squash, and 2-3 firm plum tomatoes. It’s important for presentation that these all be close to the same thickness. None of the grocery stores near me sell those skinny eggplants but that’s what you want.
- Stuff for mirepoix (2 medium white onions, 4 carrots, 5 celery sticks, or just cheat like I did and buy the packaged mix)
- 8oz tomato sauce
- Minced garlic
Roast the peppers in the oven. Brush them on all sides with olive oil and place on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 20 mins, then flip and bake for 20 more. You want to core and clean them AFTER they’re cooked, not before or else they turn to mush. If you like a little kick you can add 1 (one) hot pepper, as I’ve done here.
While the peppers roast, start sauteing the mirepoix with olive oil, salt, and 1tsp garlic. Take it off heat once everything is soft and the onions are clear.
Slice up your veggies like so.
Process your peppers, mirepoix, and tomato sauce together. I like to leave it a bit chunky.
Pour your roasted pepper sauce into any sort of wide, straight walled dish (saute pan, dutch oven, casserole dish, etc) and level it out.
If you want to make this a meat dish you can fry up 1lb ground sausage and stir it into the sauce at this point.
Start arranging your veggies in a pretty pattern on top of the sauce. Mix garlic, olive oil, and thyme together and drizzle over top of all.
Bake covered at 275F for 3 hours. Uncover and bake at 350F for another 45 minutes.
Serves one because OMG it’s so yummy