I’ve known for a while that the design of the original splitter I made for the car had some problems. The Dibond sign material is just not strong enough to provide meaningful downforce, and the bracketry attaching it to the car was weak as well. It definitely did not pass the “stand on it” test. It was also a little too narrow, limited by the width of the sign from which it was made.

Here you can see the original design. The air dam is only like 1.5" tall, the splitter is only one layer of material, and is not wide enough to extend to the edge of the fender.

To add strength and width, I created a new splitter with two layers of material. The layers are glued together with a whole tube of Liquid Nails, then riveted. I figured if it’s good enough to hold Lotus cars together, it’s good enough for this.

Advertisement

To allow the splitter to mount lower and be more effective, I used a piece of vinyl house siding roughly 4" tall, rather than a 1" strip of garden edging.

To make sure the air dam doesn’t fold back in the wind, it’s held in place by ten steel brackets, riveted in. The strip of siding cost roughly $7, the brackets were 65 cents each. This is a VERY budget build.

Advertisement

The air dam was painted black to blend in.

Advertisement

One day at work I noticed this splash shield from a Chrysler 300 that was getting replaced had some pretty nice diffuser-like structures in it.

There are places online that sell diffusers for like $150, I figured why not cut these out and use these for free? This thing was just going in the dumpster anyway.

Advertisement

Here they are roughly mocked up on the splitter. They are a little uneven but I think I can make these work pretty well, especially for the low, low price of $0

Advertisement

Final placement and orientation will depend on where the quick-release mounts go, which are currently in the mail.

Here’s a mockup of what the new splitter could look like on the car. I may order a couple more struts just to be safe.

Advertisement

I also may do something about the corners to fill in that gap by the wheel arch, but I think it looks pretty good.

Advertisement

Oh and I almost forgot - I made this little brake master cylinder brace out of some scrap metal and a $2 door stop.

As of right now I don’t have any events lined up until September, but that event will be my first two-day HPDE weekend at Dominion. Hopefully all these little things will add up to a more capable car on track!

If you like this kind of stuff and want to see more, check out my blog

I also have a new podcast I co-host called Beer and Backfire, available in usual podcasting places.