Hey oppos, I wrote up an ad for our Passat Wagon, I was going to put it on a few VW forums and such. Let me know if this is just too much info, or just right. (and if you are interested in the car it will be available in a couple weeks - this isn’t meant to be a FS post if those things aren’t allowed). I’m just looking for feedback on my ad writeup:
It’s time for us to part with our family truckster. It’s a 2008 Passat Wagon 2.0 ‘Turbo’, 6 spd manual. It’s silver with grey interior. The ‘Turbo’ edition was pretty much the base model, so the exciting options are Heated Seats, Power tailgate, and the factory stereo that can control ipods (the 30-pin connector) with the hidden ipod dock above the glove compartment. It has 150,000+ miles on it. Always synthetic oil changes early (10,000 mile recommended, I always did sooner more like 7,500). The interior is in surprisingly good shape after 9 years of kid-hauling. I would deep-clean it periodically so it’s really decent on the inside.
Other things to note
- intake manifold was replaced at 90,000 under service program (flapper valve issue common with 2.0 TSI)
- it was in an minor accident, hit at low speed in the passenger side rear door a couple years ago. The body shop did a superb job repairing it, I can’t see the repairs and I know where I’m looking... so don’t be surprised when you see that on Carfax but it really doesn’t affect the car.
- Water pump, thermostat and clutch were replaced at ~ 100,000 miles.
- it has a class 1 trailer hitch to hold a bike rack. I don’t think you can tow with it really... No trailer light kit.
- replaced the PCV valve thingamabob last summer with the latest revision. If you are an enthusiast maybe you want to do the whole catch-can thing.
- currently has a very slight coolant leak, need to top off reservoir once a month.
- body has a tiny amount of rust forming on the tailgate where the edge of the license plate has been rubbing. The license plate frame should have rubber feet or something!
- the power tailgate hinges kept breaking bolts that secured it to the hatch and I finally replaced the hinges on both sides last year, no broken bolts since.
- I have a ross-tech cable and the Bentley publishing service manual, would be willing to include with the car.
- Rear brakes have been done recently, new pads and rotors. Front brakes are still good. Comes with new front rotors and pads, but they really don’t need to be done yet. Still on the original front brakes.
- doesn’t come with the crossbars or roof box in the photo below
Here’s a recent pic:
(that’s a leaf under the corner of the hood, not rust)
This is what it sounds like when the PCV valve craps out (has been replaced, as mentioned above)
This is what happens when the rear caliper e-brake drive bolt strips (it has also been replaced)
and this is how to get un-stranded it when the caliper bolt won’t turn anymore (curse these electronic parking brakes!)
As you can tell this car has been well used and cared for. It will be missed at our house. Vehicle is in Reading, MA. This is a fantastic driving car, really fun to drive. I’d like to see $3000 for it including the Ross-Tech cable and service manual.
edit - bumped posting time for afternoon viewers