Since it's been open for a few months and seems to be doing well, the girlfriend and I decided to go to LeMans Karting in Greenville, South Carolina. It was a ton of fun and also a good excuse to test out the 720p 60fps mode on my Nabi Square HD action cam/GoPro knockoff, haha. If you want to watch it in 60fps, just watch the video in 720p HD. Youtube automatically adjusts the framerate to 60fps for HD.
I came in second by .19 seconds, but I'm okay with that since it was my first time. I wasn't too worried about having a fast lap time. I just wanted to learn the track and have fun, which I did. As for the girlfriend, she's the one with the purple Converses and the Deadpool socks that I passed 4 or 5 times, lol.
Some things I learned:
1) I need to angle the camera up higher than I expected. I didn't realize how low it was angled and I'm sorry if that makes the video hard to watch.
2) Judging by how much my head bounces, I am apparently a living, breathing bobble-head doll. So yeah...sorry for the shakiness.
3) The camera makes things look so much slower than they feel when you're there!
4) When in doubt, look around. If you don't see a marshal waving a flag, go flat out! See about the 6:08 mark for what I'm talking about. No flag was being waved, so instead of slamming on the brakes, I went for the gap, then slowed down to double check everything. After the race I talked to the marshal and he was what I did was fine, since I wasn't being reckless about it and the flag wasn't being waved.
5) The throttle lag at low speeds really makes oversteer a time-sucker, despite how fun a handful of oppo is. I decided to got for oppo over speed anyway, haha.
6) The protective case for the camera really muffles the audio considerably. I can assure you that these karts are quite loud, haha.
7) 10 minutes may not sound like a long time, but I was exhausted by the time I finally got out of the kart.
8) Now that I think about it, the throttle lag may have had more to do with the fact that the poor kart was lugging around 240lbs of Desu... >.>