Disco Inferno - Now with more fire (and fewer squeaks)

I had a rather ambitious weekend planned, full of cars, car repairs, and the answer to last week’s puzzler. While I didn’t complete most of what I intended to, so I did get the Disco back on the road!

Advertisement

Given that list... how did I do?

Volvo

Yeah no.

Saab

Pass. Let’s talk about something else!

Alfa

Oh hey I did do some work on this one! A heat shield came loose either on the track or on the way back from the track. I got under it, reinstalled the screws that hold it in place, and we’re back in business!

I drove it a bit this weekend and the ground issue is getting worse... >_<

Land Rover

Advertisement

I set out to do the shocks and front anti-roll/ sway bar links and bushes and against all odds I actually did that thing!

It was a weird mix of very easy and very difficult. Despite being coil-over-shock, the shocks are actually a breeze to remove. Except this big bastard bolt, which on both sides ends up interfering with something, making it a pain to remove.

Advertisement

OTHER THAN THAT, they were really easy to put in.

What was not easy, where the sway-bar links. For starters, to get the old ones out you have to put a torx bit through a wrench and try and and wrestle the whole thing loose. The means either putting a ton of torque on a T40 torx bit and risk stripping it or breaking the bit, or trying to get enough leverage to torque on the nut.

Advertisement

Neither was a good option.

Advertisement

Ultimately a mix of penetrating fluid, heat, and an air impact got the little bastard loose.

But now I have this fancy dis connectable link set to assemble. The bad part is it came with zero instructions, so you’re left to just wing it.

Advertisement

Eventually I got the passenger side link in, new bushing in (also a nightmare), and was trying to fit the driver’s side link. This did not go well.

The link itself didn’t line up at first, then when I did get it to line up, the bushing popped out and I had to remove it again, and the top of the link interferes with some shielding that is there to protect the steering box.

Advertisement

It was a shit mess, but it is done.

The rears were simple and easy, for a change, and I had those done in about an hour.

Advertisement

So, all in all, not too bad. I’m looking forward to getting it back on the road and seeing what breaks next!

Share This Story

Get our newsletter