After completing the offroad road trip without incident and taking the time to confer with my stakeholders (George and Taylor) I have somewhat reluctantly decided to proceed with the work on the Discovery.

I mentioned in an earlier post that my Land Rover has had a coolant leak since the day I bought it, but I never thought much of it. After running out of coolant, I finally decided to track down the leak. The news was worst than expected: head gaskets. Both of them.

Not an uncommon problem on a Discovery, but I’ve always been taught to fear a blown head. (heyo)

Shortly thereafter I got pre-code P0734, gear 4 ratio mismatch. I currently have two sympathetic restorations in the works and really can’t justify a third, so a failing transmission would likely have been the final nail in this thing’s coffin. Luckily, turns out on Land Rover’s P0734 (usually) means a problem with the MAF, not the transmission.

No, that doesn’t make any sense to me either.

Either way, that is enough hope, false or otherwise, to get me to proceed with the repairs. Plus someone bought me a garage heater for Christmas so... here we are.

Advertisement

So far the list to do is:

  • Intake gaskets
  • Valve cover gaskets
  • Head gaskets, obv
  • Remachine head
  • Oil separater
  • Coils
  • Wires
  • Plugs
  • Throttle heater
  • (maybe) Coil relocation kit
  • (maybe) switch from stretch bolts to studs

I also might just go ahead and buy new heads as they’re not particularly expensive.