This is a platform for User Generated Content. G/O Media assumes no liability for content posted by Kinja users to this platform.

Don't eat slugs, okay?

Illustration for article titled Dont eat slugs, okay?

As further evidence that everything in Australia will kill you, an Australian teen has died after spending more than a year in a coma and being paralyzed for eight years after eating a slug that carried a worm that gave the kid rat lungworm disease, known by its much easier to say scientific name Angiostrongylus. The slug was carrying a worm that is usually harmless to the rats who east slugs but, to quote Pink Floyd, the worms ate into his brain, and he developed a form of meningitis called eosinophilic meningoencephalitis, which is usually not fatal. In this case, however, it was.

Advertisement

I mean, I feel sorry for the kid and his family, but maybe eating slugs you find crawling across your patio isn’t such a good idea.

Share This Story

Get our newsletter