Chances are that you’ve seen me post about my 1990 Eagle Talon TSi. It’s come so far since when it hit the driveway, and the journey still has many trials and tribulations ahead.

It was time to pull her apart for many maintence items and improvements, so the lift was going to need to be utilized. The brakes had all but became nonexistent, so I’d ordered everything to tackle that. I already had the larger AWD dual piston calipers and carriers waiting in the garage; they were also already loaded with Hawk brake pads.

I’d ordered the larger AWD front rotors as well, and some basic standard sized rear rotors. Unfortunately, the rotors were rusted to the front spindles and gave us a fit. We attempted to heat and beat them, but we failed. The old outer tie rods were already sloppy, and by the time we were done they were toast. The ball joints were also beyond used up.

Additionally the front brake hoses looked terrible, and some realizations had dawned upon me; I need to order tie rods, control arms (mine are rusty and new ones have preinstalled ball joints) and a poly bushing kit to tighten everything up. Also I’m ordering some Goodrich stainless brake lines.

Things got worse too. The knock sensor had seen better days, and we decided that needed to be addressed. We had noticed that upon pulling the transmission to replace my clutch. As it turns out, the clutch was a factory replacement that appeared newer, and surprisingly never slipped at my far higher power levels.

Advertisement

A Competition stage 4 six puck clutch now clamps a Fidanza nine pound flywheel, and that flywheel is secured with the necessary longer Toyota 3SGTE ARP flywheel bolts.

I’d also elected to order an STM braided clutch line to replace the old hard line and tidy up my engine bay. Also in the way of tidying the bay, we deleted the AC system and pulled every single component to the tune of 20-30 pounds saved. I’d also pulled every underbody heat shield, exhaust hanger and anything else that isn’t completely necessary since I’m running a side exit bumper exhaust.

Advertisement

Since the EGR delete was done, I deleted all of the emissions lines and pulled the massive charcoal canister too. Now my bay has a ton of space and a ton of weight saved. Since that crap is gone, I can run the JMF lightweight battery and save another 20-30 pounds. Also, the AC being gone allows me to relocate the alternator to the rear where the AC used to reside, and gets it away from the hot exhaust.

The above picture shows the space saved, that’s where the charcoal canister used to hang out.

Advertisement

We also elected to use an AWD driver’s side half shaft, which is known as the equal length half shaft conversion. This allows the car to remain straight when torque steering instead of pulling to the right. This keeps me far safer and allows some quicker ETs at the track. Sadly, when we went to mount the transmission we had realized how shot my motor mounts are. The engine was sagging so bad that we had to get creative to remount the transmission. So... I’m ordering upgraded poly mounts there too.

The poly mounts will stop wheel hop and put the power down far more efficiently. It will be necessary since the fuel pump is getting swapped for a massive Walbro and a rewire to drive the pump to the fullest current possible. I’m scheduled to get a tune in July and I’m shooting for 400-450 wheel horsepower before I rebuild my spare motor and install a massive turbo.

On my current motor with 220xxx miles, we have done a new timing belt, OEM tensioner and balance shaft belt and tensioner. We also replaced the water pump and remaining accessory belt. After all, reliability is the biggest thing for me, and this car has been egregiously reliable.

Advertisement

So, here’s what’s been done and is pending being done:

Tie rods

Control arms

Poly control arm bushings

Poly sway bar bushings

Poly engine mounts

Timing belt and components

Big brake conversion and lines

Boost controller upgrade

Fuel pump upgrade

Stage 4 clutch and lightweight flywheel

Stainless clutch line

Knock sensor

Weight reduction

Matt’s DSM

There’s another buddy of mine named Matt (like myself) that owns a 1990 Eclipse. It was a rolling shell, and he’s pretty well got the interior in it in his free time. My buddy Nathan just built a Frankenstein 4G63 for this car. It utilizes a 6 bolt engine block with turbo rods, NON TURBO high compression pistons, ACL race bearings, main studs and a 2g 7 bolt head. Since he ran ARP head studs we had to bore the holes for his head studs.

Advertisement

7 bolt head bolt holes were slightly smaller than 6 bolt head bolt holes, so Nathan did what he does best; modifying existing components. The engine assembled easily with all brand new components and is one of the coolest I’ve seen. The non turbo pistons have been proven to handle excellent power assuming the tune is conservative and knock is avoided. The higher compression allows lightning fast turbo spool and his motor is going to rocket his lightweight FWD.

Plus, this engine is gorgeous. He spent some serious coin on powder coating. Here’s the engine in the car. We put this in tonight. I’ll end on these, and let the pictures do the talking. Stay tuned for more updates on all of our DSMs.

Advertisement