Inspired by the Practical Enthusiast’s post about his new Ninja, I sat down and made a list of all the issues I’ve discovered about my also new-to-me green toy.
I’ve owned the 2005 Legend Lime green GT just over a week so far, and found the following things need attention, ordered in terms of how serious they are/how much they bother me:
- Handbrake does not work (suspect failed rear cables - front seems intact)
- Stripes cracked, faded, generally nasty and need to go
- Hurst shifter rattles at 3k + RPM
- Rubber seal on cone filter on CAI severely perished
- Minor knock in front end suspension (suspect wishbone bushes)
- Hood has minor corrosion around stone chips (yay early ford aluminium painting!)
- Fuel EVAP canister blocked preventing you from completely filling tank (hold pump upside down solves this - but do so at your own risk!)
- Exhaust corroded throughout but not leaking
All in, not bad, some items on this are common to a lot of S197s - namely the hood and EVAP canister - to be expected for 90,000 miles. I’m sure more gremlins will eventually surface!
A few of these items I’ve already got parts/tools/stuff on order to remedy (shifter, stripes) and hopefully the rest of the problems I can at least properly diagnose this coming weekend. Also, I’m sure some can be remedied with carefully chosen modifications (Intake!).
Here’s hoping she soon becomes the devil I know.