Finally reached the point where we could tear into the Audi and remove the engine. It definitely wasn’t easy, but after 7-8 hours, we got it out. The key phrase of the day was, “Fucking Audi...” followed by some head scratching.

Luckily my buddy is pretty familiar with this engine in B5 S4s, but there was just enough different on the A6/Allroad platform that there were plenty of head scratching snags to tend with. I’m just glad this this was a Southern California car, and with the exception of some of the exhaust hardware, most everything came apart without too much hassle. That being said, I think the impact wrench saved us at least an hour when all was said and done.

This is my first time doing anything this involved on a car that wasn’t old and American (therefore, extremely simple), so it was an awesome learning experience.

Advertisement

Anyway, onto the pictures! First, we had to reposition the car to get better access to the passenger side (need to remove the axles to clear the transmission later on). We threw on a set of B6 S4 18" wheels that my buddy had lying around to move it, and with the air suspension totally flat, the Allroad was properly slammed to the ground:

Advertisement

Front bumper off:

Advertisement

Front carrier off next, A/C fan and condenser intact to save for later without having to recharge the system:

Advertisement

Took off one of the covers and found part of the shredded timing belt:

Advertisement

I pretty much forgot to take any pictures whatsoever for the next 2 hours or so when it came time to remove the connections to the ECU. It turns out on the A6/Allroads, Audi put an anti-tampering case on it, meaning we would either have to drill out the bolts or cut the cover on the harness to get it off. We didn’t bother with either, and just decided to pull the ECU out with the engine intact for the time being:

Advertisement

I’ll have to drill those out at another time, but we just wanted to get the engine out. With the axles out and everything else seemingly ready, we hooked up the hoist:

Advertisement

And after messing around with getting the AC compressor and lines out intact, disconnecting the shifter linkage and finding a few things here and there that we forgot to unhook (like draining and disconnecting the power steering lines, and one fucking ground strap that was holding us back that took forever to find), the engine finally came out:

Advertisement

This motor mount had completely let go, despite being unbolted from underneath, which was pretty funny. 165k miles will do that, I suppose:

Advertisement

And there we have it:

Advertisement

And the colossal mess to clean up after the fact:

Advertisement

Other misc. shots of parts and things to save:

Advertisement

Advertisement

This coming week we’ll be swapping all the parts needed from the old engine to the new, mating up the transmission, and if everything goes to plan, dropping the new motor in by the weekend. Fingers crossed we don’t run into too many snags that will prevent me from having it running this time next week (not likely)!