Explaining my Oppo absence, an unplanned garage makeover

I know it was only noticed by a few people but I haven’t posted or replied here much of this year. It was a home issue, mostly garage related. It started in April with a massive water leak. This was the second failure in 3 years of “American” made toilets that were actually foreign and inferior despite not being cheap. Both developed cracks in the tank and one had a hairline one in the bowl that later became bathroom water features. The first failure did minor damage a few years ago and we replaced it with another major brand but made in the USA. Never thought it would happen again. That second failure in April we weren’t as lucky. The water streamed into the garage for hours before we discovered it. Between my labor and insurance paid restoration crews it went into the thousands to do the repairs and clean up.. The coverage handled about 3/4 of the expense. I spent $1500 out of pocket accompanied by a lot of sweat and body aches.

Advertisement

Water damage was mostly inside the garage ceiling , a small section of laundry room ceiling and some damage in one wall. Everything inside was removed and went into the POD. Then we found out that the testing discovered the late 70's drywall mud and texture compound contained traces of asbestos. That mess required the ceiling removal after a lengthy permit procedure and the disposal of the contaminated materials. Its was weeks before we were allowed to really get to work.

I removed an old wooden workbench on the back wall that had absorbed water while we were doing this because I was determined to at least make my garage better while fixing this mess. It took months of doing new drywall, then painting, and new 5k lumen LED lights because the old fluorescent fixtures had rust stains from water inside the lights. Installed a motion sensor on one LED so whenever you enter the garage or drive in there is more light than just that from a single garage door opener.

Since the ceiling and walls were to be new I figured I needed to at least do something to the floor which had bad spalling on a portion. Enough DIY epoxy to do 3 1/2 garages was needed to fill the rough surface to where it would at least last and have better texture. It took a lot of prep and once the insurance crew workers had fixed the ceiling and painting the walls I did the rest. The epoxy batches had some color variation and don’t look uniform but its done and it all came with some unexpected gains I’ll tell at the end. I’m happy with the results and will let the pictures tell the story for now. Its not a perfect man cave but at least I can offer my friends a cold drink from the fridge while we are working on our cars.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

In all 15 trash cans of car parts and junk hit the curb other than the construction debris. Old paints were mixed together and used to refinish the shelves on the metal racks, some shelves I replaced with laminate covered panels. New sink, new stereo speakers, black Harbor Freight cabinets, new workbench etc and enough of the old stuff was cleaned and refinished to at least look like it belongs. In all I spent about 60 hours working out there, labor other than the hours the professionals spent working.

Advertisement

Now the bonus from the redo. The garage in winter used to drop to 30-40f when it was below freezing. Now the sealed floor has the place feeling less damp. The ceiling received upgraded insulation and everything was sealed a bit better during the repairs. Today it was 15f degrees out and the garage is just under 60 degrees. We also wonder if the small fridge has added a tad of heat to the room In the summer it seemed cooler and now in winter its warmer so we aren’t sure what exactly is the reason but its awesome. I may sand next summer and put another coat of epoxy on the floor to make it match but for now I’m loving it all.

Share This Story