I’ve mended something!
Last week, I went out for a drive that ended in limping the Ferrari home. The car was misfiring on the right bank pretty badly and barely idling. Based on my previous experience with a terrible misfire on the left bank last year, I had a sneaking suspicion the culprit was the same as last time. Corrosion on the ECU pins.
Yesterday, I pulled the ecu for bank 1-4, and sure as shit, corrosion in the same spot. The other side was much, much worse, which was good to see since the misfire was much more serious last time.
I used the same process as last time. Contact cleaner, brushes, and some fine sand paper. Much less swearing this time, though.
I had the ecu out, cleaned, and back in the car in about an hour. I let everything sit over night BC I had other things to do. After some persuasion from capt dale, I decided to give it a go today. Fired it up and the engine idled right where it should. So I took it for a quick little spin. Ran smooth, pulled strong, sounded fine, and loved the WOT redline shifts I threw into the Italian tune-up.
Now that the car is back in the garage, I’m calling this issue fixed. Next engine out, I will most likely repin the wiring harness. That will be a big job, but luckily I have a few years to think about it.
I hope you all had a good weekend, first day of summer, and a happy father’s day to all the dad’s out there. Take care of yourselves.