Image is related.

A friend of mine has a 2006 Miata that he bought last year. When he found out I got a small wood lathe, he was interested in a custom shift knob. This is what I’ve done for him. I still need to fasten the nuts in the inside, but I think it’s coming along quite nicely (even if my HTC PotatoOne takes terrible photos). Anyway, to confirm a few measurements, I was over at his place this evening and he took me for a little ride. It’s been a while since I’ve been in a car that handled like that! Although the one thing that did disappoint - leg room. I’m roughly 5'10", and the seat must have been forward a bit. As it was, my knees were a bit bent.

So far I think I’ve got something like 15+ coats of wipe-on-poly on that shift knob.  Maybe one more tomorrow morning, and it should be good to go.  All I’ve got left to do is epoxy the nuts inside, and it should be good.