With the splitter now sitting several inches lower, the old Longacre struts were barely holding on to a couple threads. New ones are expensive at like $35 a piece, so I took a inspiration from my friend Adam’s CRV track ‘car’ and spent less than $20 on some hardware from Lowes to make my own.
The upper mounts were welded to the metal bumper cover retainer strip.
This strip is held to the bumper bar by several bolts and is pretty solid.
After some mixing and matching of turnbuckle parts, I finally had something that was cheap, strong, and easy to disconnect with minimal tools. This also passes the “stand” test much more securely than before.
I also installed the diffusers cut from the Chrysler 300 splash shield. They aren’t perfectly flat so on each, one side slots under the splitter while the other sits on top. These are held in with more rivets. I left the strip behind them intact to keep the splitter more rigid.
And that’s just about it for the splitter. I do plan on adding another bar of angle aluminum for extra rigidity, but as it sits now the thing is 95% done.