Since the last update I finished going around the interior and stitch welding the seams.

The B-pillars, roof rails, and strut tower areas were the areas I concentrated on most.

I was also able to start installing the driver’s harness. The lap belts bolt into the stock seatbelt mounting points, as they are already pretty reinforced and seem to allow the belts to sit at a good angle according to RaceQuip’s instructions.

Advertisement

The shoulder belts wrap around the welded in rear strut tower bar. I was concerned about the length of the straps, but according to RaceQuip as long as there is 4" of tail left after properly routing the belt, it should be acceptable. Obviously in the future once I have a proper roll bar, the harness will be mounted to that, but this should do for now.

Advertisement

For the 5th point, I welded in a reinforcement plate and a double-shear mount I had leftover from the limit straps from my Cressida. The mount is angled so the belt pulls more or less straight.

With all 5 belts mounted, the harness is done. As far as I can tell, all the belts are mounted in such a way that the angles match the instructions supplied by RaceQuip, meeting SFI specs (for whatever that’s worth).

Advertisement

Though not directly related to the FX, I took the time to finally give my workspace a much-needed cleaning.

Advertisement

Look at all that metal dust. That’s 2.5 years worth of metal grinding/cutting.

Making a semi-organized pile is my preferred method of sorting.

Advertisement

To think, the floors by the walls were packed with stuff to the point I could barely make room to jack up the car!

Larger specialized tools took up residence in the workbench cabinet.

Advertisement

Nothing like a semi-organized toolbox. Now maybe I’ll be able to find a damn 10mm when I need one (which is always).

I really hate the process of cleaning, but man the finished product really is worth it.