Behold, the Arsenal of Democracy.
The B-24 Liberator and C-87 Liberator Express under construction at Consolidated’s Fort Worth factory. The C-87 was used for high-altitude, long range transport of passengers and cargo.
Ground was broken on the Fort Worth factory on April 18, 1941, and the first Liberator rolled off the production line almost exactly one year later. According to the Austin Company, builders of the factory,
This plant would be the largest unobstructed indoor working area in the world; it would be windowless and a pioneering example of controlled-conditions design.
The 4.9-million-square-foot facility would be the largest air-conditioned plant in the world, as well as the largest installation of insulated steel curtain-wall construction. It was also the first building to combine rectified fluorescent lighting, light-reflecting fiberglass walls and ceiling, and a white cement floor for a floor-to-ceiling approach to illumination problems.
And, Austin completed the bomber facility 100 days ahead of schedule.
With the plant ready three months earlier than planned, Consolidated Aircraft asked Austin to add a parts factory to the site – nearly doubling the originally planned space.