Rebuild might be a bit of a stretch. Maybe gearbox refresh?

KitchenAid makes a mean mixer. It’s been a staple in American homes for decades and it’s easy to understand why. They’re incredibly useful, versatile, and generally well built. However, they really skimped on the grease. It seems that KA uses just about whatever cheap axle grease they can find and it inevitably separates over time, weeping oil (not the edible kind) all over the machine. I set out to pull ours apart and remedy the situation exemplified by our 4 year old machine.

This is how it appeared after pulling the “head” or the top part containing the motor and switch. The grease was getting quite firm and honestly, 80% of it wasn’t doing anything. It had clumped together out of the way of moving parts, not lubricating anything. It wasn’t all that greasy and slick anymore.

Inside the “head.” The worm gear motor output and the pinion gear that drives the square accessory output shaft.

Advertisement

All in all, not too many parts. The job required a #1 square drive bit, a #2 Philips driver, a flatheat for prying, a 1/8" pin punch, and a small hammer.

Advertisement

Lots and lots of sintered bushings could be found. Just fine for a grease bath application, if the grease is doing its job. The die cast aluminum housings were very tidy and looked great.

Fresh grease applied. Nice and goopy. I realized halfway into the job that the only lubricant on hand was Valvoline Paladium 2% Moly. Super goopy, super slippery, and that molybdenum does wonders for moving parts. Overkill, but hey!

Advertisement

Looks kinda nekked without the trim.

Advertisement

And we’re back! Good to go. The whole job took about an hour. I really enjoy this kind of work- rebuild/reconditioning and refurbishment type stuff so time wasn’t really a concern. Plus, I’m off this week.