Am I crazy? I already own GTA V on PS3. I also own a PS4 and a decent PC. I will eventually buy it on PC, sooner or later. I've been making GTA mods for years, and I've been looking forward to doing so with V since it was first announced long ago. This is not a PC vs. console nor a Playstation vs XBOX discussion.
Now I'm considering getting it for PS4 as well. Obviously, three copies of the same game is getting ridiculous. I posed this question on GTAForums as well, but I thought I'd get Oppo's take.
Originally, I had planned to get only the PC version. Now that the new version's hype train is running, I'm getting antsy. As I see it, here's the pros & cons of choosing option #1, getting it on both next-gen console and PC:
- Get to play the updated version 10 weeks earlier.
- Play with more of my friends. I have more friends on console than I do on PC.
- A perceived situation of less multiplayer hacking compared to PC. Maybe it's true, maybe not, but that's my perception.
- Wireless controller support without third-party software or needing to buy another controller. I'm a controller user on PC. I do have a wired 360 controller for use with my PC, I could buy a wireless 360 one, and I can use my DS4 on PC with DS4Windows, but no solution is as convenient as the console's included controller.
- Not being handicapped against other Online players while using a controller. I'm not skilled at using a keyboard & mouse, so I'd be at a disadvantage in firefights against many PC players.
- Cost. Even if I got a great deal on a third (!) copy, it'd be more than if I only bought it twice.
- Reduced value/replayability. I've already finished the single player story twice on PS3, and likely will do so once again on one of the upgraded versions. I can't imagine finishing it on all three platforms. As far as Online goes, I'd be starting out from Level 0. Some might take that as a plus, but I'd see it as having to grind up again. Either way, I wouldn't have nearly as much play time on PC than I otherwise would.
- Delayed access to PC's advantages (performance, modding, better capture, etc.). Even if I got the PC version 6 months after the PS4 version, that's 16 weeks later than the PC version's release. I'd be 'missing out" during that time.
- Online console play requires a paid account (PS+ or XBL Gold), and is susceptible to PSN or XBL outages. That's not to say that Rockstar's own servers/Social Club can't go down, but that could affect any platform.
Oppoinions? Whether you're upgrading or getting V for the first time, what version(s) are you getting and why?