I understand that given the current world outlook Harley is looking to make some money somewhere, but can’t help but think their new “Rewire” corporate strategy is them waving the white (and old) flag and saying making good stuff is much too difficult and off-brand for them. Here are a few of my favorite excerpts-
- Return focus to the strength of brand and company, starting with dealers, customers, stronghold products and committed employees globally.
- Re-evaluate strategies to reach new riders and build ridership.
- Narrow focus and invest in the markets, products and customer segments that offer the most profit and potential. This includes building on Harley-Davidson’s strong position in the U.S.
- Establish a simplified market coverage model and take cost out of the process.
- Continue to be guided by the voice of customers and dealers to optimize value and profit delivery.
Frankly I don’t have a horse in this race; nothing short of them remaking the VR1000 can make me consider ever buying one, and though it would be cool to have an American company making competitive products (and being profitable doing so), watching Harley flounder around endlessly is pretty satisfying too.